#43 The Midlands

The first thing I saw on the vast field of the Temple of the Truthseekers was four expensive-looking royal carriages.

And along with it, I instantly sighted multiple able-bodied men carrying Cederic, Brayton, Nadia and Regalis. The four of them, looking weak, in the hands of the men carrying them. They looked so fragile, like their lives and magic had been sucked right out of them.

What could ever possibly make Regalis look this frail? And so easy to subdue. On a good day, just by touching his bare toe, one gets hit with lightning yet, these men were comfortably carrying him from the Temple to their carriage, holding his bare hands and feet.

Anger surged through my veins. Poison! I thought.

Regalis and others have most definitely been poisoned with neetwood. Besides that, there was no other explanation, as to how these men were able to put down four Gifted soldiers this easily.

Neetwood, was an Armalith royal poison plant. Grown only on the request of the king. To an unGifted, it was harmless. But, to a Gifted, it was toxic. As it drastically weakened the strength and magic of a Gifted. And if taken in excess, could 'kill' the Gifted's magic completely. And in fact, perhaps, also end his or her life.

The men started to lift Regalis into one of their carriages to take him away, and my soul went blind with rage. Taking him away to finish what they've started?

One moment, I was leading an army of men, riding towards the Temple of the Truthseekers (where the truthseekers lived, constantly rededicating themselves to the Mother of Light), and the next second, I felt myself absorbing magic.

First, Cederic and Nadia's, taking little. And then, with stunning speed, as the body of a Feeder multiplied the intensity of whatever magic it absorbs, I jumped up from my horse and as I was still in the air, I stretched my hands towards the carriages. The storm magic in me blasted the carriages.

Rended their wooden parts apart! Ripping each piece. Like a mere piece of fabric in the mouth of a hungry toddler.

I landed on my feet. Immense strength, rushing through my veins. As I made up my mind, that by the time I was done with these men, none will live to tell a wonderful story about today.

I absorbed more magic. From Ashton and Regalis. And faced the sixty or more men, as I felt myself multiply. Several clones of me popping out, and filling the vast field. And then, suddenly, we were all engaged in a ferocious battle.

The leader of the attackers raced towards me, with an axe in his hands, I grabbed him by his throat, Gifted strength pulsing through me. I lifted him, with one hand alone, into the air!

Horror filled his eyes. For he was a huge man, and a girl, less than twenty summers, had just hoisted his heavy weight, like a worthless sack of potatoes.

Then, I heard a second person rush towards me. Before I could dodge, the sharp end of a blade cut my cloth and stabbed my flesh.

I almost expected to see blood gush out, but since, I had absorbed a bit of Ashton's magic, currently, my skin was a stony impenetrable wall. A trifling blade couldn't pierce it.

I turned my eyes to the man who attempted to knife me. He was sweating. Beads of sweat and terror lined his forehead "I'm sorry. I didn't mean..." he started to say, as I felt my anger rise. No one needed to tell me lightning streaks danced in my eyes. I could feel it.

Before the man could run away, I struck out my other hand and lightning bashed him. Granting him a swift death.

The other man in my hand, the head of the attackers, without looking at him, I broke his neck.

And then, I noticed something strange. More and more attackers were coming out of the woods. Randall truly had backups to his backups.

I rotated my hands, calling once more on the storm magic I had absorbed from Nadia and then, towards the men, I flung my arms. And a whirlwind lifted them, like mere kites and tossed them violently against the trees in the woods.

But then, I watched as one of the attackers, a Gifted shifter that was partly Transformed, dodge the strong wind and pounce on our soldiers

Its jaws, like sharp claws, ripping the throats of our soldiers apart.

It was fast. Too fast. And far away. If I aimed lightning at it, the shifter could be fast enough to dodge it, like it did with the whirlwind. If I fed on its magic, I'd only Transform to a beast too. And then, I've to fight it out with him, as his shifter magic, protected him from me, being able to completely absorb all its magic, rendering it powerless.

And as it moved, fast like the storm, spreading its wide jaws upon the necks and stomachs of our soldiers, it suddenly stopped, after it had attacked tens of them. And as though, the shifter felt my presence, it turned to me, bared its jaws, and snarled. And then, his face returned back to normal. And a smile filled the face that now looked human. And I took a sudden step back, in shock at who stood in front of me. As my heart raced.

I should've known that since Randall would never leave the Capital, to carry out his dirty deeds, someone he trusted, would definitely be here to represent him.

And right here, standing in front of me, as the fastest shifter I've ever seen, was my head maid, from nobleman Edgar's house. The particular one who oppressed me for years. Bullied me at every turn. And reported all my actions to Randall.

And at this moment, she grinned, "surprise. Surprise. Weakling Princess Xemein. We meet again" Eleanor said.

****
Thanks so much for choosing this story once again! I deeply appreciate you coming here every week to read it. Thank you! THANKS A LOT!!!

Kindly, do me a favour. PLEASE, COMMENT, VOTE, SHARE this story or ADD it to your reading lists. PLEASE.

Lastly, are you interested in reading another love story? Check out my completed work. A PSYCHOTIC KILLER? HOW TO GET AWAY!

 A PSYCHOTIC KILLER? HOW TO GET AWAY!