#49 The Collar of Death II

"I thought I would I die" Regalis said.

I sat up instantly "why? When?"

"There. At the truthseekers' temple. I honestly thought it was my last day, when that neetwood filled my belly" he said.

On arriving to the Temple of the Truthseekers. To welcome them (Nadia, Brayton, Cederic and Regalis), the truthseekers served them tea. And they drank it, unaware that it was laced with neetwood.

"The pain it caused to my insides" he paused "to every part of my stomach, it was like a fire, burning me up from the inside".

I took his gloved hands and held them, 'cause as much as my heart may not want to feel his pain, I felt it. What hurts him, now hurts me too.

He gazed into my eyes "life is short. If there was anything the neetwood taught me, it was that. So, I don't want to spend the next months, lying and pretending to myself about the way I feel".

My heart pounded as he continued speaking. Where was he heading to? What is he about to say?

"I love you, Xemein" he said "I love you so much, that it hurts".

And I forgot to breathe the next second.

"I have deep feelings for you. Feelings, I can't pretend that I don't feel anymore.

As the neetwood took my life, all I thought of, was you, Xemein" he held my cheeks "so, if you'd let me, I'll treat you better. Love you better than I ever have, I promise" he said.

He paused, waiting for my response.
But what could I say? Anything I uttered about my feelings, without telling him the entire truth wouldn't feel right.

He put a finger on my lips. "As always, I want you to at all times, have a choice. So, I'll wait for you to choose, after the collar is gone" he smiled.

The collar? Gone?

"And if -" he waited "you don't choose me after your collar comes off, I'll respect your decision" he said.

He rang a small bell beside him. And Griffin, his Imperial servant, walked in. Beside him, was a raven-haired man. They both greeted us and bowed to Regalis and I.

"Meet Cleavon" Regalis said to me, introducing the raven-haired man "a third year apprentice to a Master Collar Mage in the Capital".

Capital. I thought. Randall. I still have not received any scolding or howler from him, since after saving Regalis. What was he planning? Why did he just keep quiet?

"Speak" Regalis said to Cleavon.

"Your bride collar, I've encountered its type in the past, Your Highness. The type only Master Collar Mages can remove".

I nodded, listening.

He went on, "your collar can be removed, especially since, the collar hasn't been 'triggered' yet".

"Triggered?" I said.

He nodded.

"This is a knowledge not known by ordinary collar mages" Cleavon explained.

Hope filled me. The collar could be removed? And though, I rarely let myself ponder on it, but, I wanted it off me desperately. Let it be one less thing Randall has to use against me.

"You haven't received the first shock, have you, my lady?" Cleavon asked.

Regalis and Griffin looked at me.

"First shock?" My hand, touched the bride collar.

"Yes, my lady. Its purpose is not to kill. But to warn the bride about something she did wrong" Cleavon continued "her family triggers the collar. The first shock. Shocks the bride in a very painful and agonizing way" he said.

Regalis clenched his fist. As though he wanted to shatter something. I placed my hand on his, to calm him. We didn't need Cleavon being fearfully reminded he was in front of the Dark Lord, when he sees lightning streaks in Regalis's eyes.

"Fortunately, my lady, it seems you haven't experienced this first shock, else you'll remember it. It isn't a pain, brides forget in a hurry" Cleavon shook his head.

And I wondered, if he didn't like the pain brides got from the collar, then, why become an apprentice to strengthen his collar mage skills and Gift? Was it for the money in the business? 'Cause everyone knew that most of the people who did arranged marriages, were the upper class.

"So because the collar mage who designed it hasn't 'triggered' it, my wife can remove this -" Regalis looked at my collar with disdain "without it being able to kill her later?"

Cleavon bowed, "yes, your High..."

"Yes!" Griffin screamed, and threw a fist in the air "finally!"

"I told you, Your Highness. A second opinion from someone in the Capital was necessary" Griffin rejoiced.

"Get a chair, Griffin. Let Lady Xemein sit and be rid of this evil at once".

"Yes, my Prince" Griffin sped off, returning with a seat within a few seconds.

Since we were still at the Midlands, we chose to remain at the Temple of the Truthseekers who had repeatedly and repeatedly apologized to us, on their part in Regalis's attack.

I stood up from the double seat, Regalis and I were sitting on. And walked towards the single seat for me, so, Cleavon could conveniently stay behind me, while his hands wrapped round my collar.

Cleavon moved near me "my lady, the removal procedure will commence..."

The most excruciating pain I had ever felt, sped through my bones. "Hah!" I suddenly screamed.

Shaking so hard. As though a million maladies had just invaded my brain. "Hah!" I howled. Anguish of the highest degree struck my nerves.

I collapsed on the floor. My body, juddering for one more moment. And then, I became stiff. Stiff, like the dead.

"What just happened?" I heard Regalis scream beside me. Fear, in his voice, as he held my still body.

"Her first shock" Cleavon responded "her bride collar has been triggered and can't ever be removed by any other person now, except her collar mage".

And then, his voice lowered, as he added, "someone somewhere just sent your wife, a fierce warning".