Chapter 12 Brother in law

Cyrus narrowed his eyes when Vara rushed by and left the room. It was evident that she was angry. What had that spoiled Tirzé prince said to her?

He didn’t notice he had stood up until Iolaus grabbed his arm. “Don’t, Cyrus,” his friend warned him. He gave a quick glance in Ariane’s direction. The girl was sitting there nervously, biting her lip. Her eyes were wide and flashed between the retreating Vara and her brother.

“Stay here,” Iolaus told Cyrus quietly, “if you go after her now, you’ll only make things worse. Stay with you fiancée.” He glanced at Darius and Torcan who were headed back to the couches. “I’ll go see if she ‘s alright. Don’t do anything foolish, Cyrus.” He pressed Cyrus’ shoulder and went in search of Vara.

Cyrus gritted his teeth and sat down on the recliner. He wanted to go to Vara. Instead, he had to be polite to the person that had upset her.

He glared at Darius when he sat back down on his previous spot. “Why is Vara upset?” he demanded.

Darius answered his gaze evenly. “It was a mere misunderstanding.”

Cyrus gritted his teeth. “And what, if I may ask, did this …misunderstanding entail?”

Darius narrowed his eyes in the slightest of ways. If he told the prince the truth, it would mean insult. After all, he had just questioned the man’s integrity. “I was merely inquiring after suitors,” he lied, “she misunderstood my question.”

“Aren’t you married?” Cyrus questioned.

Darius cleared his throat. “Hence the misunderstanding.”

Cyrus did not look convinced, but let the matter rest. Things were uncomfortable enough. He didn’t need an argument with their new allies.
He waved a servant over to bring more wine.

A few minutes later, Iolaus returned.

“Where’s Vara?” Cyrus asked the moment he arrived.

Iolaus cleared his throat. “She sends her regards and informs you she has retreated for the night.” He glanced at Darius. ”Also to wish you a safe journey home, my prince.” Though those had not been her exact words.

Darius inclined his head.

“Perhaps you should apologize to my sister before you depart,” Cyrus suggested, “I would not want you to leave on bad terms.”

“I would not want to wake the lady,” Darius said, “I intend to leave in the early hours. I have already made arrangements and instructed my servants.”

“She is an early riser,” Cyrus said stiffly.

“I am sure Vara understands,” Iolaus interceded. He was afraid the situation might escalate, “this is supposed to be a dinner party. And we have a lovely lady in our midst. Let’s not spoil the evening. Tell us, lady Ariane, what do you think of our kingdom?”

Ariane’s cheeks turned red at the sudden attention. She glanced up down at her lap.

“Speak, lady,” Cyrus said.

“It’s… you have been very welcoming,” Ariane stuttered. She was not sure what had transpired between her brother and Vara, but she could feel the tension in the room. She wished she could have escaped, along with the lady Vara. Perhaps things would be less stressful once her brother had returned home.

“I am glad to hear that you feel welcome,” Cyrus answered politely, “I hope you will enjoy our hospitality much longer after your brother has departed.”

Ariane’s blush deepened. “I hope so too, my prince.”

“My manservant will remain here until the wedding,” Darius commented, “he will take care of my affairs in my stead and see to my sister’s needs.”