Chapter 32 Impressions

The ride to Stregare had been long and uncomfortable. She would have loved to ride on horseback and feel the wind through her hair, smell the sweet mountain grass, hear the cry of the ocean, but this was a formal visit, so she had been forced to ride in the carriage with Cyrus and Ariane.

It might not have been that much of a problem if it hadn't been for the argument that still lingered between her and Cyrus. It would certainly help if he stopped giving her those heated looks. It was a miracle that Ariane hadn't noticed it yet. For once she was glad the girl was so dense.

She was glad to have arrived at the Stregare castle. But after the formal greetings and pleasantries, Vara now found herself in a completely different kind of awkward. She was sharing a recliner with Hector Strega who was telling her about the Strega estate while Cyrus pretended not to be watching them. Feeling his eyes on her back made it almost impossible to keep her attention with Hector. If it wouldn't have been improper for her and Hector to be alone, she would have asked him to take her somewhere else, but even if Iason would accompany them, there would be talk, seeing as they were in Hector's home and his parents were present.

The Strega family was very traditional.

"It is my understanding you enjoy riding, lady Vara," Hector said, "perhaps you would join me tomorrow? I could show you around the estate. We can tour the coast. You as well, my prince. Perhaps you would be interested in inspecting our coast defenses?"

Cyrus inclined his head. "Of course."

Hector smiled. "Very well. We can ride out in the afternoon, so the ladies can sleep in."

Cyrus smirked. "Vara likes to rise early. It is often that we already find her in the courtyard before breakfast is ready."

Vara stuck out her tongue at him. "It is not my fault you are so lazy."

"Manners, Vara,"Cyrus lightly scolded her, but he had an amused smile on his face. And easy as that, their argument that had lasted throughout the week, had been cast aside and they fell back in their usual banter.

Hector watched it confused. Lady Vara certainly was different from most ladies he had met. "Are you certain, my lady?" he asked, "I wouldn't want to discomfort you and leave you unrested."

"I had plenty of rest in the carriage ride here," Vara told him, "I enjoy mornings. We can leave right after breakfast. If it doesn't inconvenience you, lord Hector?"

Hector inclined his head. "No inconvenience, my lady. If it suits the prince as well?" he looked at Cyrus.

"After breakfast is perfect," Cyrus answered, "my wife and I will ride with you. She can see our shores then."

Ariane slightly shifted at the mention of her joining them. Was she expected to come? It made sense, seeing as Cyrus would be king one day and she was his wife. She would have to get to know the kingdom, see the different provinces, meet the ruling lords. But on horseback? Early morning? Had he forgotten horses frightened her? Or would there be a carriage available for her? She was afraid to ask, worried she would somehow embarrass him. She would ask him in private, once they had retreated for the night. He had told her she could ask him questions.

"Well then," Quintus Strega spoke, "seeing as tomorrow will be an early rise, perhaps it would be wise to retreat for the night. Our guests have had a long journey. I'm sure they would welcome some rest." He motioned for the servants to clear the table.

"Thank you, my lord," Cyrus inclined his head at their host, "your consideration is most appreciated." He rose to his feet and held out his hand for Ariane to take. She shyly accepted it and let him help her up.