Chapter 40 The willful child

"I still can't believe she would do something like this!" Cyrus bristled as he paced up and down the entrance hall, "consorting with her guard?! As if there hasn't been enough talk already! What is she thinking?! And my father won't even say anything against it!"

Iolaus watched his friend cautiously. He was worried Cyrus might do something foolish. Like kill Iason. "She is not consorting," he started carefully, in an attempt to be diplomatic, "she is only considering him. And he is not her guard anymore. Your father the king released him from that duty. There is no need to get worked up about it. Iason is a good man."

Cyrus abruptly stopped pacing and turned to glare at him. "He is a soldier. His parents are farmers. She is only feeling sorry for him because he almost died."

Iolaus raised an eyebrow. "Like you are only jealous because she cares about someone other than you?"

When Cyrus' glare intensified, he sighed. "Can you not be happy for her? You've always known the king would never allow you to marry her. Did you expect her to remain alone for the rest of her life only because you can't have her? You're not being fair, Cyrus. She's been miserable ever since your father announced you were to marry. Should she stay miserable her entire life?"

Cyrus gritted his teeth and ran a hand through his hair. A frustrated sigh escaped hi slips. "No, of course not."

"Then let her go," Iolaus said, "if Iason can make her happy, then what is your objective?"

To that, he had no response. Of course he had no right to decide who she should marry, but he knew that once she was somebody's wife, she would leave. He didn't like that thought at all.

When Cyrus didn't give an answer, Iolaus slapped his shoulder. "So please be nice to him. I'm sure you will like him once you get to know him."

"I won't have much choice, do I?" Cyrus said annoyed, "Vara invited him to this wedding. I have to be civil."

"Good boy," Iolaus grinned, "now smile. Your wife is approaching." He nodded at Ariane who slowly walked up to them. She was getting tired easily lately. When she had reached them, she curtsied, "My lord. Lord Iolaus."

Cyrus nodded curtly. "Ready?" He was eager to leave. The sooner they left, the sooner they'd arrive at Genvi. He was especially irritated that he would have to share his carriage with Iason since he was officially Vara's escort.

Ariane bit her lip and nodded. "I am ready, but should we not wait for lady Vara and her friend?"

"We can wait inside the carriage," Cyrus bristled and he stomped off.

Iolasu smiled at her kindly. "Don't worry, my lady, he is not upset with you." He offered her his arm and guided her outside.

"He does not approve of lady Vara's new suitor," Ariane said softly.

"He is just being stubborn," Iolaus said, "soon enough he will see she is happy. I wouldn't worry about it. For a long time he was the only man in her life. He just needs to get used to the idea."

"Of course," Ariane said quietly. She allowed him to help her into the carriage and carefully seated herself. The short walk had already tired her out.
She placed a hand on her stomach. It was hard to imagine a child was growing there. There was nothing to see yet. Lady Eurydice had told her what to expect. She was such a kind woman. "Is it far to Genvi, my lord?" she asked Cyrus.

"A few hours," he commented while looking out of the window to see if Vara was coming. What was taking so long? "Finally," he muttered when he saw her come out of the palace with Iason at her side. The solider was looking a little out of place. Instead of his usual garb he was wearing a simple tunic. Simple, but still good quality. It was probably something he owned but only wore on special occasions.
He awkwardly offered Vara his arm and guided her towards the carriage. She was softly talking to him, but Cyrus couldn't hear the words. Whatever she said to him seemed to encourage him, because he walked straighter.