Chapter 55 Jasmine

Goats. They were only goats.

Mikos scowled as he looked into the smirking eyes of a boy maybe half his age. The child was the only one accompanying the flock of bleating creatures and didn't look concerned in the least of being in danger of any attackers lurking nearby.

"Did we give you a fright, sir?" the boy asked.

"Of course not," Mikos denied, "I was merely resting my horse. It miss-stepped." Even he could hear how unconvincing those words sounded.

The boy's eyes shifted towards the horse concerned and he kneeled down to felt the animal's leg. "I think it's only a sprain, but you should not ride him. Our camp is nearby, sir, we will share our food with you. Do you have far to go? It will be dark soon."

Mikos frowned. Their camp was near? "Since when do the nomads trespass on Salvire ground?" he asked hostile.

The boy didn't seem intimidated in the least. "We go where there is water and pastures," he said calmly, "the drought forced us to move more north. Come, we can take care of your horse in the camp. At night the animals of prey come out. You don't want to cross paths with them. And you wouldn't want the enemy to find you either."

"What about your goats?" Mikos asked wryly.

The boy smirked. "I'll leave them with my cousin. He is with his flock just over the hill." He turned and looked over his shoulder. "This way."

...

It was late when Iason finally reached the palace. He longed for a bath and a meal. And sleep.
A servant greeted him and quietly directed him to the rooms that were reserved for him and Vara. She was already getting ready for the night.

When he entered the room, a warm smile spread over her face and she rose to greet him. Gentle arms wrapped around his torso and a kiss was planted on his cheek and lips. "How are things?" she asked quietly.

Iason sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Channah is upset, but that was to be expected. I think I managed to ease her worries a little, but she was still crying when I left. It can't be helped though. It is Dimitris' turn to serve. Every capable man has been called to arms. It was only a matter of time before it was my family."

Vara bit her lip and placed a hand on his arm. "At least we managed to get the king to allow him service near Boncini. That way we can keep an eye on him."

Iason nodded. "That may be so, but I'll still have to treat him like every other soldier. I can't favor him over the others."

She offered him a sad smile. "Did you tell her she is welcome to reside at Boncini?"

"I did," Iason said, "for now she would rather stay at home. Zinon will keep an eye on her and Cassi while Dimitris is fighting."

Vara nodded. "That's understandable. As long as she knows she is always welcome."

Iason cupped her cheek and kissed her. "I love you."

"And I you," she told him earnestly, "go rest. I will order food."

"Thank you," Iason said, "how did the meeting go today?"

Vara shook her head. "Not much was discussed yet. It was mostly introduction. Tomorrow reports will be discussed. Also, lord Izem from Salvire has come." She looked at Iason with a sour expression. "A difficult man. I'd rather deal with Darius."

Iason chuckled. "That is a lot, coming from you. Don't worry, love, I will deal with him. He can't complain about the number of men we have sent."

"I think he will always find something to complain about," Vara sighed, "but let us not talk about the meeting tonight. It's been an exhausting day for both of us. Let's get some rest. I'll call for food, and water for a bath. Let the war wait until tomorrow."