Chapter 49 Love and War

"Riders," Lykander noted while gazing down the path that led from Boncini to the road.

"More news from Auros?" Joseph, steward of Boncini asked concerned. He joined the young man.

"I don't think so," Lykander mused, "they're wearing Tirèze colors."

"Border patrol then?" But why were they so far into Zeir? Boncini might be close to the border, there was still no reason for a patrol to be here. Joseph looked at Lykander. "Go inside. Tell the girls to be wary. As long as we don't know what they want it's better to be careful."

Lykander nodded and disappeared inside.

Joseph walked up to the approaching soldiers to greet them. "Good day, soldiers. Be welcome. By what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?"

The soldiers pulled their horses to a halt. "We come from king Darius Tirzé. Are you lord of this house?"

Joseph shook his head. "The lady Vara and her husband are at court. They will not be back for several days. I am steward of Boncini. I manage the estate in their absence. What can we do for you?"

The soldiers exchanged glances and dismounted. "We are here to ask for men to strengthen our border. We had men from Lavos, but they returned to defend their own borders. Balor has turned its eye east. King Elon's men are called back and we have come for aid."

Joseph looked at them guiltily. "I do not have the authority to make such decisions and our garrison is small. How many men would you even need?"

"As many as you can spare," the soldier answered. He cleared his throat. "King Darius says to remind you Tirèze and Zeir are allies. You are obliged to honor his request."

Joseph gritted his teeth and forced himself to remain calm. "As I said, the lady is away. You are welcome to wait for her. We will accommodate you."

The soldiers exchanged looks again. "This matter is of the upmost urgency."

"I am aware," Joseph assured them seriously, "but I cannot call her back now. She will return within the next few days. I am sure she will heed your request." He gestured towards the house. "Please, be welcome. We will take care of your horses and prepare rooms for you. I will send for food and wine."

Reluctantly the soldiers followed him inside. They had expected to resolve the matter quickly and return to their duties, but they knew they could not go back to Tirèze without a reply from Boncini, strange as it was to receive it from a woman.

...

Black horse, black carriages, black attire. The buildings along the streets were adorned with black banners. All in farewell of a well-loved king.

Behind the carriage with the coffin walked lady Eurydice with her son, king Marcos. Behind them Cyrus and Ariane, who carried Lucius. Behind them was Vara with Iason, and also Iolaus.

Surrounding them were a lot of soldiers, guarding the royal family against possible threats.

Vara sighed to herself. At least it wasn't raining. The entire day had been one long string of protocol and ceremonies. Now they would finally lay lord Caius to rest in the royal tomb where the rest of the Aurelios line was buried.

Vara had never been there. Aelia had already passed away when Vara came to live at the palace. She looked up when Iason pressed her hand. He offered her a small comforting smile. Both of them longed for the day to be over, but even then they could not return home right away. It would be a few days before they could depart and return to Boncini.