Chapter 1 Duty comes first

“…and young Antinous returned home a wiser man…”

“Thank you child.” Caius Anthony Aurelios lifted his hand to stop her words. His almost blind eyes were staring at the opposite wall and he sighed content.

Vara lowered the scroll she had been reading from and turned to Caius’s  wife, Euridice.

The old woman smiled at her warmly. Vara answered her smile. She adored Cyrus’ grandparents.

“Ah,” Caius sighed. He closed his eyes and placed his fingers against his lips. “The heroes of old. How very much I would have liked to see those days.”

“Well, I am glad we live in quieter days,” Euridice winked at Vara, “tell me child, why are men always so quick to embrace war and glory?”

“I would not know, my lady,” Vara answered, “it is a mystery that women may never solve. “

Euridice laughed softly. “You are wise beyond your years. “

Vara sighed. “If that were true, my lady, then I would know what to do right now.” She had never been afraid to speak her mind in this room. Caius might be the former king, he did not involve himself in the politics of the realm anymore and Euridice was a kind-hearted woman and also wise. She had a sharp eye that noticed the smallest detail and she new a great deal about her grandson’s personal life.

“Tell me what’s bothering you, child. What did you and that grandchild of mine argue about?”

Vara bit her lip, not sure how to address the matter, but then she concluded that they might already know. “The king wishes him to marry,” she said.

“A wise decision,” Caius said in a serious tine. He turned his attention to the conversation, “Cyrus will be king some day. He needs a strong wife at his side and an heir in her womb.”

Vara lowered her eyes. “He does not share that opinion, my lord.”

 “And you, Vara?” he asked curiously.

Euridice clacked her tongue at her husband. “Don’t be so cruel to the child.” She looked at Vara sadly and took the girl’s hand. “We know you care for him. And he is not indifferent towards you. I know he is in love with you.”

Vara shook her head. “He only thinks he is on love with me.” It was easy for him. They had grown up together. He could be himself with her. With her, he wasn’t the prince but only her foster brother.

She sighed. “He needs to marry and he knows that. Even if the choice may not be his own, he will learn to love her.”

She wasn’t only saying that for Cyrus’  sake. He hoped it would be true for her as well. When the king had promised to make sure she would receive a proper husband, she had made herself no illusions. She had known it would unlikely be a love match. Since she was not of royal blood, she would not be given to a highborn lord. It would be a good match, but her husband was likely to be an older soldier or someone of influence in terms of politics. She had accepted it. It was what her father would have wanted for her.

“An arranged marriage is not a bad thing,” Caius aid, “it will bring wealth and prosperity to the kingdom.” He smiled at his wife lovingly. “And of course, if you happen to be lucky, it can be a blessing.”  He took her hand and kissed it.

Euridice smiled back and Vara sighed. The love between the two was clearly visible. She envied them. 

“I pray I may have a  marriage as strong as yours,” she said quietly.

“You will child,” Euridice assured her, “I know my son. He will not cast you off to just anyone. He will find you a suitable husband. “

“I don’t doubt that , my lady,“ Vara said, “I can only hope that some love will be involved one day. “