Chapter 26 Nights in the desert

The night had been endless with a welcoming ceremony, a long dinner and the start of negotiations. After that there had been a smaller meeting with only prince Cyrus, Darius, Ariane and the king.
Darius was glad it was all over now. He was even more glad Cyrus hadn't brought his sister.
With a groan he let himself fall back into the pillows of his futon and placed an arm over his eyes.

In the corner of the room, Torcan poured a goblet of wine and brought it to Darius, who took it without looking up. "That Cyrus is still arrogant as hell," Darius growled, "five minutes in and he is already making demands. A bath, an extra room for his manservant, food."

Torcan didn't answer. It wasn't very different from the way Darius had acted when they had arrived in the city of Auros, but he knew not to point that out. "The climate in Zeir is different from Tireze," he said instead, "the journey was a trial to them. And they have shown us hospitality. It is only natural that we offer them the same kindness."

Darius scoffed. "And we have. There was no need for him to open his mouth about it. At least he left that girl at home." He moved his arm to glance at Torcan. "What did you find out about her?"

Torcan sighed. "She is truly not what you make her out to be. She has a good heart. It is not her fault."

"So she has managed to wrap you around her finger," Darius commented dryly.

"Perhaps I just see things more clearly."

Darius sat up and narrowed his eyes. "You forget yourself, Torcan," he said in a low voice, "remember who it is you are speaking to."

Torcan lowered his eyes. "Forgive me, my prince," he mumbled.

Darius studied him for a while before turning away. "Make sure it doesn't happen again." He stood up and walked up to the window. "Now, what can you tell me?" He folded his hands behind his back and looked out over the desert.

Torcan sighed. Darius could be so stubborn. "Lady Vara assured me prince Cyrus would take good care of your sister. He will treat her right."

"Tch,"Darius scoffed, "of course she would say that. And of course he will. If he didn't, Tireze would break off the treaty and seek retribution. That he treats her right does not mean he won't insult us by bedding other women." He narrowed his eyes. "He'll make a mockery of this alliance."

"He is not with lady Vara now," Torcan pointed out.

"Indeed," Darius nodded. He looked at Torcan. "Very well. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Time will tell if he is worthy of that trust."

"She asked me to correspond with her." The words had left his lips before he could think about them.

Darius raised an eyebrow and looked at him confused. "She who?"

"Lady Vara," Torcan averted his eyes. He suddenly felt awkward, even more so when he heard Darius let out a scampered laugh.

"Why would she do that? Why would she want to?"

He might as well have said, 'why would she want to with you?'

Torcan gritted his teeth. He could feel the heat rise to his face. It felt like Darius was mocking him. It wasn't something he did often, but when he did, it hurt deeper than any insult he received from his peers. Darius could make things sound condescending. "She said she wanted to stay in contact," he answered the prince's question, "she sounded sincere."

Darius scoffed and then grinned. "Well whatever the reason, this could work in our advantage. It will keep us informed about what happens in Zeir. I will compare her writing to the reports I receive from our men. That way I will know if she is deceiving me."