Chapter 43 The king's daughter

The entire day was a haze. Ophelia embraced her. Euniece and Ethan embraced her. Lady Eurydice had tears in her eyes and lord Caius kissed her cheeks.

People congratulated her and wished her well.

There was food and music and dancing. The king held a speech. Iolaus had her third dance, the second belonging to Cyrus as Ariane could not dance in her condition.

Vara smiled when Iason's hand fell on her shoulder. He looked tired but happy. "My family is here," he said, "they want to meet my wife."

Wife.

A warmth spread through her body at the sound of the word. She locked her fingers with his. "Let's not keep them waiting then."

The first to greet them was Iason's younger brother. Iason had told her Zinon was the same age as her. The young man smirked widely when he saw Vara and slapped Iason's shoulder. "She's a pretty one. So are you a prince now?"

Iason cleared his throat. "Lady Vara is a princess. I am still myself."

Vara smirked too. "Don't listen to him. I've told him many times I am no lady. You must be Zinon. I've heard much about you. Of course, last time Iason saw you, you were still wetting your bed."

Zinon gasped. "I did not!" He looked at his brother horrified. What did you tell her?!"

"I said nothing of the kind!" Iason protested. He looked at Vara. "I never said that. I never used those words." He turned back to Zinon. "Don't listen to her. See how much trouble she is?"

Vara laughed and turned to Zinon. "It is nice to finally meet you."

Zinon smirked and kissed her hand. "My lady," he grinned. He released her and slapped Iason's shoulder again. "Congratulations."

As he walked away to join the dancing, Iaosn's parents stepped forward.

"Father, mother," Iason greeted, "my wife, Vara ví Aurelios. Vara, my father Elias Tessarae and my mother Filippa."

Filippa curtsied deeply and Elias bowed. "My lady. It is an honor."

"Please don't bow," Vara told them, "you are my family."

"You honor us, my lady," Elias said, "and also my son."

Vara shook her head. "No, he honors me. I owe Iason a lot. He is very important to me." She smiled. "I hope to visit your home soon. I know Iason longs to visit."

"We would be honored to have you," Filippa said, "but we live a simple life. I'm afraid our house is not suited."

"I grew up in Dalós," Vara assured them, "your house will be perfect."

"I hope you will still think so after you've spent time with our younger brother." Another man had joined them and bowed. "My lady."

"This is Dimitris," Iason introduced him, "my elder brother and our father's heir."

"Glad to meet you," Vara smiled.

"Same here," Dimitris said, "especially since Iason did not tell us he was engaged." He glanced at his brother.

Iason shifted uncomfortably. "I didn't think about it."

"Didn't think about your family?" Dimitris asked.

"Dimitris," their father hissed, "some respect for lady Vara."

Dimitris stiffened and bowed at Vara. "Forgiveness."

"It's quite alright," Vara assured him, "please don't be upset with Iason. He's had a lot on his mind lately. I hope you will stay at court for a few more days. I would love to get to know Iason's family better."