Chapter 44 A child changes everything

Cyrus paced back and forth in front of the bedroom door. He raked his hand through his hair and sighed nervously.

The moment his grandmother had arrived, she had ushered both him and Iolaus out and had told, no ordered, him to call a physician and a midwife. And to send in Chloe.

People had been rushing in and out of the room, but he was not allowed to set foot inside.

Ariane was in labor. He was going to be a father. He wasn't ready to be a father. He hadn't even been ready for marriage and look how that had turned out. He didn't even love his wife. His wife was uncomfortable around him. And now they had to take care of a child, a prince of Zeir. This could only end in disaster.

"Will you just sit down?" Iolaus asked tiredly. He had been up all night with his friend. He was exhausted.

Cyrus growled and sat down on the bench across the room, only to get up again and continue pacing. "Why is it taking so long?"

"How should I know?" Iolaus answered, "I'm not a woman." All he wanted was to go to his bed. Yesterday he'd had to leave Vara's wedding early because of this and he hadn't seen Ophelia since. He didn't get to spend much time with her. Santos was a two day's ride away, so every moment together was precious to him. He rubbed his face. The sounds coming from the room were anything but pleasant. He shivered. "Ophi is never going to have children. I don't want her to go through that."

There was a loud scream followed by wailing and both men perked up. Cyrus had paused his pacing and looked almost frightened now. He stared at the door wide-eyed and with trembling hands.

Not long after, Chloe came out of the room with a bowl of dirty water and a bloodied cloth. She had her eyes cast down and made a quick and clumsy curtsy before hurrying down the hall. The door fell closed behind her.

Cyrus eyed the thick wood nervously. What was he supposed to do? There had been so much blood. Was that normal? What if she had died? His mother had died in labor. Was his wife dead too? The child lived. The continuous crying was proof of that.

What was he supposed to do?

He jumped when the door opened again. The physician stood in the doorway, wiping his hand on a towel. He bowed at the prince. "Your Highness, come meet your son."

Son?

Cyrus looked at him uncomprehending and the physician smiled kindly. "A healthy pair of lungs. Everything else is accounted for as well. Your wife did great, but she must rest for the next few days. I'll write a prescription. She'll have to take it twice a day."

Cyrus barely heard a word the man was saying. His eyes moved to the bed. Ariane was covered in sweat and looked exhausted. Next to the bed was the midwife, rearranging the covers around Ariane. And next to that...

His grandmother turned to face the door, a small bundle in her arms that produced a lot of noise. She softly cooed at it and slowly the sounds died down. She looked up with tears in her eyes and smiled at Cyrus. "He has Aelia's eyes."

Cyrus stepped closer and looked down at the newborn. Before he knew it, his grandmother had placed the infant in his arms and instructed him how to hold it. Cyrus stood there helplessly. What was he supposed to do with this small creature?

"Talk to your son," Eurydice said kindly, "he needs to know your voice. She directed him towards the chair next to the bed. She patted his shoulder. "I'll inform your father. He will make the announcement once you have named your son."

Cyrus looked at the child in wonder. So small. So innocent. Yes, he had the same eyes as Cyrus' mother, but the blonde of the child's small hairs was definitely Ariane.