Chapter 24

Lan Qiren ordered for fresh tea to be brought to his study, completely forgetting that he had wanted not to be disturbed for the moment. He invited Lan Xichen to join him and once they were both comfortably sipping from their cups, Lan Qiren asked again: "Xichen, what have you come to talk about with me?"

He had decided that he would first hear out his nephew and if he would not get the advice that he needed from him, he would then ask directly. Although he felt a little bit silly about asking someone so much younger than him for help – he should be the wise and experienced one in the family – he thought it necessary. He had never paid too much attention to who exactly Lan Xichen was taking in and letting live in the Cloud Recesses Manor, nor how he should approach those poor abused and fragile souls. He usually just ignored them and that had been fine.

Until now, that was. As soon as he realized that if he was a little more aware about the subject and just a little more observant in the past, he could have very well saved Wei Wuxian much earlier, he could not ignore the reality anymore. He was not so conceited to think that he would have managed everything perfectly, but he could have at least done something to help. As things stood, he could only try to remedy his past indifference by finally looking at Wei Wuxian with open eyes and no preconceptions.

He could do that, he would, but he had no idea how to approach the boy. Especially when he had already showed him that he was no better than his past masters, shouting at him and punishing him for things that the boy either could not have done or had no control over. He wondered if it was even possible for him to start anew and gain at least some of Wei Wuxian's trust.

In the past, he had never liked the boy, however seeing him this broken and subservient just did not sit well with him. He could overlook him being overly loud and liking to pull out silly and harmless pranks, if only Wei Wuxian would still be able to be that carefree and get back his childhood. He was only fourteen and he had already seen so much of the world, the worst part of it really. He deserved some calm, peace and freedom.

He did not even know where all these feeling were coming from; they were just there from the second he had seen Wei Wuxian tremble in front of him with his hands all red from being beaten. Perhaps Lan Qiren was seeing him as Lan Wangji and comparing their situations. While his younger nephew had never been a social person, nor open, he would hate to see him this broken. No child should suffer such a faith, especially not one that he had the power to help. He now felt fiercely protective of the boy.

Just as the rest of his family it would seem. He had already seen how Lan Wangji behaved when it concerned the boy and now Lan Xichen was also watching him with grave eyes full of concern.

Luckily, he did not have to urge his nephew to talk anymore as he started explaining why he had come to Lan Qiren's office at this time of the day: "Uncle, I came to talk to you about Young Master Wei. His case is unlike anything I have ever seen and truth to be told, I am horrified by what had happened to him. I need to inform the emperor and start an investigation on the Jiang family..."

Lan Xichen spoke in a slightly hesitant tone and Lan Qiren suddenly understood why that was. He had been friends with Jiang Fengmian for the better part of his life. His nephew must have assumed that he would perhaps stand on the side of the master of the Lotus Pier Manor or try to plead for him. Such a silly boy, there was no way Lan Qiren would not believe what had happened to Wei Wuxian and that it had all been committed by exactly that friend of his and his wife.

When Lan Xichen hesitated for a bit, probably unsure of Lan Qiren's reaction, his uncle stepped in to make his stand clear: "Xichen, I know I had not believed in the beginning but with so much proof, I cannot overlook it anymore. It does not matter that I have once been close friends with Jiang Fengmian, I just did not know him well enough. He had played me and everyone else too. His sneaky tactics during the war as well as his treatment of Wei Wuxian cannot go unpunished. He is a traitor and should be dealt with as such."

Lan Qiren left out the past where he felt responsible for not seeing any of this earlier. Not only Wei Wuxian's situation but also how insincere his friend was. He should truly work on being a better observer and not being so easily manipulated. Because that is exactly what had happened; if he kept his eyes opened, he would have surely seen something amiss in the Lotus Pier Manor and in the Jiang family's behaviour. He should have suspected something long ago and not overlook any signs of fraudulent intentions just because he had thought his friend would not be able to commit something like that.

Lan Xichen watched him with something akin to awe but quickly found his composure and nodded his head, agreeing.

"Yes, I will inform the emperor immediately and start the investigation. However, Uncle, there is something I came to ask of you today." Lan Xichen was now even more nervous but he kept the eye contact with Lan Qiren intact. It was clear from the way he held himself that he was not about to compromise on anything he was about to say.

"I will be absent from the Cloud Recesses Manor for the foreseeable future as I will need to go to the Lotus Pier Manor in person. I came to ask you to keep an eye on Young Master Wei in the meantime." A short pause for Lan Qiren to grasp the words correctly and Lan Xichen continued with even more urgency and seriousness in his voice: "I believe that if Young Master Wei will stay by Wangji's side, he will be mostly alright. I just want to ask you to not be too harsh with him; you have seen his reaction this morning, he needs time to recover first and only then can he be called out for anything."

Lan Qiren scoffed at his nephew's words. He knew this perfectly well himself without Lan Xichen having to spell it out for him. But the more important question was how he should approach the boy so he would not cause him any fear or anxiety. Why would Lan Xichen not tell him this? It was more important than reminding him about not being harsh to Wei Wuxian which he had already decided himself.

"Uncle..." Lan Xichen seemed not too happy with his reaction and it was only then that Lan Qiren realized.

He had not said anything about his intentions of treating Wei Wuxian well from now on aloud. Of course his nephew would assume that he was disregarding his words in order to go yell at the boy for something the minute Lan Xichen left the Cloud Recesses Manor. Lan Qiren had failed to communicate his intentions and his change of attitude he was willing to undergo to anyone. If even his nephew could not tell that he no longer believed Wei Wuxian was misbehaving and purposefully causing trouble all the time, how could the boy in question be persuaded?

Lan Qiren thickened his face and corrected his nephew's misunderstanding: "Xichen, I have also been there this morning and last evening. I understand that I have been too harsh on the boy. I..." He found out what he had already known, admitting one's mistakes was hard. He took a deep breath and continued before Lan Xichen would assume that he had finished speaking: "I know I need to change the way I approach him. I will rely on your guidance."

Lan Xichen stayed shocked speechless for a while, watching him with wide open eyes full of too many emotions for Lan Qiren to decrypt. He was starting to feel really uncomfortable when he was the one being observed like this. Why would Lan Xichen not stop looking at him in this way and continue with the conversation?

His nephew must have seen his irritation mixed with a speck of nervousness and he smiled in the end, his expression extremely soft and happy. Then, he started explaining how Lan Qiren should approach Wei Wuxian in a way which would help him keep the boy as relaxed as possible given the circumstances.