Chapter 93

When Lan Wangji left the room, Wei Wuxian immediately regretted it. Not because his master had not even wished him a good night as he had done the day prior, although that actually made him a little sad too, but because Lan Wangji took with him all the comfort and ease Wei Wuxian had been feeling.

Suddenly, the room was way too big for him and way too empty. He was silently chastising himself for feeling lonely this quickly, he should still be used to it. On the other hand, he would never try to stop his master, that would be inappropriate. He believed that he had already been a handful to deal with even without demanding Lan Wangji to stay with him at all times and demand constant attention. He was still afraid of becoming a burden, despite his master's continuous reassurances that he could rely on him and that there would not be any punishment for anything.

Lan Wangji had promised to not send him back to the Lotus Pier Manor, that much Wei Wuxian did not doubt in the slightest. His master would also probably not send him anywhere else either, he was too kind for that. He would keep him around even if it would make him uncomfortable.

However, Wei Wuxian was afraid that the same could not be said about Lan Qiren. The master of the Cloud Recesses Manor was truly quite scary, moreover, he had been annoyed with him before. Unlike Lan Wangji, Lan Qiren had taken his repeated offences to heart. He had not been happy at all during the dinner the very first night Wei Wuxian had come to the Cloud Recesses Manor and then when he had been playing with the rabbits. Sure, he had protected him against Su Minshan, but Wei Wuxian could still not fully understand his motives for doing that.

And so it happened he did not quite trust Lan Qiren to not send him away when he would offend him. There were no doubts in his mind that it would happen sooner or later no matter how much effort he would put into behaving properly. He felt like his time in the Cloud Recesses Manor was limited despite Lan Wangji's promises. He believed Lan Wangji would stand up for him if he would offend Lan Qiren. He always felt safe around this particular master of his. However, Lan Qiren's word was still law in the Cloud Recesses Manor and he did not look like a type to listen to his emotions even if his own nephew would be begging him for something.

Luckily, Wei Wuxian quickly managed to find his composure. He should not be worrying about this right now, there was no way he would be able to do anything about it anyway, perhaps aside for being on his best behaviour and hoping Lan Qiren would bear with him for a longer rather than a shorter while.

The reason why he had snapped out of his morose thoughts was the bath which had been prepared for him. He still stood in the middle of the room where Lan Wangji had left him and even from this far away, he felt the heat of the water. It was tempting and he truly wanted to go wash himself. When would there be another time when he would be able to enjoy the luxury of a hot bath?

He circled the privacy screen and quickly put away his robes. He made it a point to neatly fold them just in case anyone would come into the room. It would be unsightly to thrown them on the ground in disorder, they were a gift from Lan Wangji. Moreover, it was possible that he would need to get out quickly and go open if someone would come so he left the new white robes within his hand's reach. He was not sure he would be able to enjoy the bath to its fullest but he still hoped it would at least take a while for anyone to come asking for him. He had not forgotten his duties, if he would be called to keep Lan Wangji company, he would go immediately.

Until then though, he wanted to enjoy the pleasure of a hot bath and relax.

Carefully, much as if he had never done it before in his life, he checked the water's temperature and was satisfied that it was just right, not too hot or too cold. He looked around as a force of a habit, making sure no one was in the room with him, hiding somewhere, ready to jump out as soon as he would let go of his alertness and scold him or punish him. He felt very much out of place because he would usually be the one to serve his masters in the bath but not have an opportunity to soak in it himself.

Reassured that he was indeed alone and thus safe – although not as safe as he felt with Lan Wangji close by –, he stepped into the bathtub and lowered himself so he would be sitting submerged in the hot water up to his shoulders.

Immediately, hot tears were streaming down from his closed eyes. It felt so good he could not hold himself back. It had been so long since he had last had a bath like this, he had forgotten how great and comfortable it felt. Despite his best effort to stay alert, his muscles relaxed right after he had sat down and he knew right then, if someone came to ask for him, he would not be able to come greet them because his limbs would not listen to him. He was all limp and comfortable and he was not sure he would actually ever be able to get out.

Right now, such an option was completely unthinkable for him. He could not imagine finding the strength to willingly abandon this steaming hot piece of paradise. He moved his hands lazily under the water just to feel it deliciously and sweetly caress his body. This was such a miracle he started crying even harder, until he had to tilt back his head backwards over the rim of the bathtub in an attempt at stopping his tears from falling. He wondered if this was how babies felt in the arms of their mothers, he could not find any means of knowing for sure, but he thought it was a close enough comparison.

He eased up even more, his whole form sluggish, and slid down his back against the side of the bathtub. The hot water was caressing him everywhere and he could not stop himself from relaxing further. His eyes were half closed so he could enjoy the sensation of the bath more. He gave out a big sigh after a while and the accumulated tension in his body left together with the air.

Wei Wuxian's mind was all blurry and relaxed. He let his guard down completely and only thought about how great it felt. The only other emotion was endless gratitude to his master for preparing a bath for him. He did not know if he would ever be able to repay Lan Wangji and the whole Lan family for their continued kindness.