Wattpad Original

31|The Flu

Chapter Thirty-One: The Flu

Lincoln

The light filtering in from the window beside my bed forces me to blink my eyes open, and as soon as I do, I wish I hadn't. My head is fucking killing me, the pounding seeming louder than the cars honking on the street below. Sienna is curled up into my side, her head on my chest, arm draped over my body. For a second, the sight of her makes me feel no pain. I smile and push a strand of hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear, then I bend down to place a kiss on her forehead.

Last night was a rollercoaster, but it was one that I'd ride again and again. I'd wait in line for hours for it if it meant that it would end the same way. Sienna opened up to me completely about her past, something she hasn't done with anyone, and I want to show her how much I appreciate it. I've never been the type to go the extra mile for someone, and as selfish as it sounds, I never had to. Women always threw themselves at me when they found out I was wealthy, but with Sienna...it's the first time I've ever felt like I need to impress someone. This time it's me that's going to put the extra work in because I know what a catch Sienna is. I'm not going to fuck this up. Not again.

Sliding out of bed beside her, I head into the bathroom and take a shower since I never took one after my heavy workout last night. Sienna is still sleeping when I return, so I throw on a pair of briefs and decide to cook her breakfast. I'm not a good cook whatsoever, and Sienna witnessed that firsthand, but it's the effort that counts, right?

I grab the eggs, then a mixing bowl, and when I eye the items on the counter, a grin falls onto my face as if I can hear Sienna's voice scolding me right now for not putting milk in it. As a last minute decision, I grab the carton out of the fridge and put a splash of it into the bowl, jumping out of my skin when I catch my mother standing to the left of the island.

"Holy shit," I say, clutching the carton of milk to my chest. "What are you doing here?"

She raises her keys and shakes them in front of me, arching a brow. "I have a key to your house, you know. Just doing my weekly check in to see how you're doing."

Oh, shit. Right. She still thinks I'm still in bed with the flu after eating bad Chinese take-out. I mean, my condo is still an absolute mess, I haven't cleaned up at all, so I could technically lie and continue to fake sick, but what if she goes into the bedroom and sees Sienna?

Sienna is in my bed.

Naked.

Fuck.

"I see you're cooking," she adds and studies the mixing bowl. "Four eggs?"

"I'm hungry," I grumble, attempting to mask my nerves. "I need as much protein as I can for my workouts. You know that."

"Hmm," she hums, setting her purse down onto the island. It's a pink birkin, one my father bought her for her fiftieth birthday. "You seem to be feeling better since you're eating, so that makes me slightly relieved. Are you ready to go back to work?"

No. Not at all. I've enjoyed having time off from the company, but I know it can't last forever. Unfortunately, I'll have to return in two days and be thrown head first into meetings, all while trying to put together the business plan I purposely didn't work on for Sienna. It hurt too much to think about her at the time.

I shrug as I whisk the eggs and say, "Yeah. It'll be good to see everyone."

"Good. I found another woman that I think you'll just adore, by the way. She's the daughter of one of my friend's at the club. Theresa is her name. Remember her? I've had her and her husband, Charles over for dinner a few times."