Wattpad Original

70|Ring

Sienna

I gave Carmen two days before I checked in on her. Lincoln was meeting Jett in New Jersey to discuss the plans to locate Travis, and since I couldn't come (for reasons I would surely ask about later), I decided to spend the day with one of my best friends to get her whatever she needed.

Carmen opened the door looking much better than she had down in that cellar. The bags under her eyes seemed to have lessened, and the cuts on her face already faded to scars. However, that bright ball of energy that normally followed her wasn't present. She was cautious before she saw me, her eyes flickering to the left and right of the hallway. "Oh, it's you," she breathed, stepping to the side to allow me to pass.

Following her inside, the apartment was in pristine condition, but Riley is to thank for that. She's always been the neat one out of the two of them. After what happened, I know Riley has probably been exhausted running the shop for Carmen and making sure she has everything she needs. I make a mental note to stop by the shop and check in on her later, too.

How are you doing seems like a lame question. Obviously, she's not doing well. Who would after being kidnapped and held for ransom? But I still ask it as I take a seat on one of the metal barstools by the island. She's making some sort of rice in a large pot on the stove.

"I'm doing fine," she reassures, but I can tell she's lying. The smile she gives me doesn't quite reach her eyes. She turns her back to me to secure aluminum foil over the top of the pot.

"Jollof?" I assume. A popular dish in Nigeria and a family recipe Carmen keeps close to her heart.

She nods. "I've been missing home lately. For obvious reasons. What better way to cure my homesickness than with comfort food?"

Remembering when she brought me a container during my breakup with Reed, I send her a genuine grin. "I can understand that. Do you need any help?"

"Nope." She sets the oven mitts down on the counter and spins to face me. "Just gotta let the rice cook. Thanks though."

One of her hands pushes a braid that's fallen out of her bun behind her ear, but not before I catch a diamond the size of my entire fist glittering beneath the fluorescent lights on her ring finger. "Um, what is that?"

Her brown eyes pop up to mine. "What is what?"

I point to the rock-sized diamond, and almost as if Carmen didn't mean for me to see it, she covers her hand with her other one against her chest. I'm not even sure how her hand is capable of holding the weight of that thing.

"It's nothing," she starts, but I hold up a finger to cut her off.

"Nothing? Carmen, if that's real, which I'm pretty sure it is, that thing has to cost more than my townhome. Who gave that to you?"

"Jett," she replies simply as if it isn't a big deal. "Then again, I think you already knew that."

I lean forward in my seat, resting my elbows on the wooden island. "Okay, but why would Jett give you a ring? And why is it on your ring finger? Is it..." I inhale a sharp breath, connecting the obvious dots. "He... He proposed to you?"

"Sort of," she admits.

What in the hell? God, I want to be surprised. I really do. But I know Carmen, and the way she's been glowing the past few months have been obvious. With my countless questions, I knew it was Jett, but the problem here is the conversation Lincoln's mother had with me. He needs to be married in order to obtain his share of the company. Clearly, Carmen is genuinely in love with him if she said yes because I know how complicated her life is. But what if he's using her? What if Lincoln's mother is right?

"And you're...positive about this?" I pry.

She arches a brow. "Have you ever known me to make a rash decision?"

"Well, no, but..." Breathing in deeply, I inhale the sweet scent of the chicken broth. "You may not have officially said as such, but Jett is dangerous, is he not? He's one of the guys you told me about."

"It's more complicated than that, Sienna. He's... He's more than he seems, okay? You witnessed him save my life a few days ago. That is who he really is. Not the arrogant dick he portrays himself to be."

Does she know about the company shares? Should I tell her? If she knew, I doubt she would have said yes. She's smart enough to piece it together and figure out his plan. Maybe I should speak with Lincoln about this first before I bring it up.

"Why did that man take you? Does Jett know them?"

She hesitates. It's only for a second, but I catch it. "No, I don't know him. Jett is involved with a lot of people, but I'm not privy to his business information. I'm marrying him, Sienna, and despite those wheels churning in that head of yours, there's nothing you can say or do to talk me out of it."

"Is he forcing this on you? Does he have leverage of some sort? Blackmail?"

"What? No. Why would you think that?"

"Why would I not?" I counter. "You broke things off with Archer only a few months ago. Yes, Jett saved your life, but that doesn't mean you have to marry him. I get you were hurt, and anyone who went through something like that would be, but you don't have to escalate things so quickly. Take it slown, you know? What's the rush?"

Carmen shakes her head, crossing her arms over her red sweater. "I didn't agree to this because I was kidnapped. I knew long before that even occurred that I wanted this. He brought up marriage before I was injured, but I wasn't completely sold on it then. I am now."

"But why?" I press. "Why the sudden urge to say yes?"

Her gaze on me practically burns. "Does it matter? As my best friend, shouldn't you support me in whatever I choose to do? If I'm standing here telling you Jett is my person, why can't you believe me?"

She's right. In my gut, I know her feelings for Jett are true. What she isn't aware of is the deal made by his mother to obtain his portion of the company shares. But when Jett found her in that cellar? When he held her close to his chest? What if the connection between them really is truthful? Am I going to be the friend to ruin that for them?

Hopping off the barstool, I close the distance between us and wrap her in a hug. We haven't hugged since she was almost taken from me, and now really isn't the time to fight about an engagement that may not even result in marriage. For now, I just want to cherish having her in my life and the friendship we have. "I'm sorry," I mutter into her sweater. "I've got a lot going on with the Travis situation, and it's messing with my head. If Jett is your guy, you know I'll be here to support you every step of the way."

She grips me tighter. "Thanks, girl."

Pulling away, I grab her hand to inspect the ring itself. It's a tear-dropped shape diamond with a simple thing gold band, but it's exquisite. Fake engagement or not, he seems to care enough about her to spend over a million on a ring. I'm a jewelry girl at heart. I should know.

"How can you even hold your hand up?" I joke.

She sighs dreamily, holding the ring in front of her face to admire it. "I have no clue. You know I have expensive tastes, though. He knew what he was signing up for when he met me."

My mind strays to Archer and him not being able to handle her hobby of being a dancer. "Jett makes you happy?" I ask. "He accepts you? All of you?"

The smile that falls onto her face can't be faked. "Every bit of me. A little too much if we're being honest." A hint of red flares against her dark complexion. "It took me forever to find someone who could keep up with me. Trust me, I didn't think it'd be Jett, either, but here we are."

"Yes," I hum in agreement. "Here we are, and I'm thankful that we're here. I'm happy you're safe, happy you're okay, but most importantly? I'm happy that you're happy, Carmen. If Jett is the reason for this happiness then I'm all for it. I just want you to be safe, okay?"

A fleeting moment of amusement dances in her eyes. "Trust me," she drawls. "I don't think Jett is going to let me out of his sight anytime soon."