Wattpad Original

59|Coincidence

Sienna

I've always been the type of person to over-exert myself. I've never been able to relax, and that's presumably why my work ethic is top-tier. As soon as I've achieved something, I look for what's next. Living in the moment means thinking about the past; there's nothing sentimental about that.

Which is why, after closing the Le Beaute deal, I'm focused entirely on finding an available warehouse for Camille rather than celebrating that I closed the deal in the first place. If I fail to hold on to the terms of our contract, she can back out, and I refuse to let that happen.

Restlessness churns in my gut along with hunger, reminding me I haven't eaten since this morning. Glancing at the clock above my office door, it's already 7:00, which means I've stayed much later than I should have, and I've achieved nothing today aside from strenuous meetings.

A rapping of knuckles chimes off on the doorway, and a grin threatens against my lips at the sight of Lincoln carrying a bag of Chinese takeout—my knight in shining armor.

"Aren't I just the luckiest girl in the world," I hum, already reaching for the bag. "I thought I wouldn't see you for a few days."

Lincoln was going to revisit the Los Angeles location to check in on the progress of the renovations with a few of his elite staff members and Margo. He protested that I come with him, but with all the work I have to do to close this deal, I declined. I have to visit the locations of the warehouses to see if they're viable options for Camille, and if I want the continued help of my staff for scouting locations, I don't have much time left with Christmas approaching next week. Camille is coming the second week of January, which means I need to get a move on and find something.

"Figured I'd stop in before my flight leaves. I know how consumed you can get with work, and I'll be damned if I leave you on an empty stomach."

Instead of a suit, he's dressed in jeans and a button-down shirt that fits his figure just right. A Rolex cuffs his right wrist, sparkling in the light as he shifts to roll his sleeves up.

"I don't have to go," he adds quietly.

"Yes, you do. This is your company, Lincoln. It'd look bad if you didn't go."

"But with everything still so uncertain with Travis..." I attempt to hide the flinch that crosses my face at the mention of his name, but Lincoln catches it, his eyes softening. "We still don't know if someone in our inner circle is the culprit, and I don't want to leave only to have Travis jump at the first chance you're alone."

The box of Sweet and Sour Chicken lands in front of me, but I'm no longer hungry, not after the mention of Travis. I can still smell his breath laced with cigarettes... The must of his unwashed body... The pure terror racing through my blood when he cornered me at that hotel.

"I won't be alone, remember? Carmen and Riley will be staying with me for the next few days."

Lincoln slumps into his chair. "Fair enough, but couldn't you have sent anyone else on this trip with me aside from Reed? Between him and Jett, I'm going to die a slow death."

A laugh bubbles in my chest. "Someone from my team needs to go, Linc. Our businesses are partners, after all. The renovations reflect my company as much as they do yours. I trust Reed with this."

He arches a brow. "You do?"

Reed has proven himself after the first scare I encountered in Los Angeles. He helped watch over the company while I attempted to heal and never asked for anything in return. As much as I should be mad at him, the anger isn't there. I know firsthand what a threat Travis can be, so I'm not upset Reed didn't want anything to do with me after that. I can't say I blame him.