Wattpad Original

77|Corden

JETT

I should have seen this coming.

In a city as large as New York, I ironically run into associates I know more often than not. Others may come here to chase their dreams or run away from their past, but, from what I've learned, you can't ever truly hide here.

Peering down at Travis's lifeless body, I squint my eyes to inspect the wounds on his neck, shaking my head once before I turn to Delano, who is standing in the doorway with two jugs of bleach. His brow is raised, attempting to read my thoughts. "He looks familiar, doesn't he?"

Too familiar.

But in our world, which is so very different from the hustle and bustle of dream chasers, he doesn't go by the name of Travis. This man went by the name of Trippy—a well-known dealer in the Bronx and also a member of Rafino's cartel.

That son of a bitch who killed my father recruits the slimiest men he can who are willing to do anything for a dollar, so the news isn't all that shocking that Rafino would hire a man such as Travis/Trippy. Rapists, addicts, molesters... He doesn't turn anyone away. I, however, have standards as to who works under me. People like Trippy who are easily influenced are more likely to snitch. They have weaknesses. Whether it's drugs, women, or money, they'll turn in a heartbeat the second it's offered to them. Thus the reason Travis is dead on the concrete floor. Sienna was his weakness, and both he and Rafino seemed to have underestimated her.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that Rafino connected the dots to my connection with Sienna, or rather, Carmen's connection to Sienna. That's more than likely the reason he hired this goon in the first place.

When his plan to capture Carmen didn't go as planned, he tried to attack a different way. Take out the people closest to her instead, which in turn would hurt me.

Two years ago, I didn't believe in getting close to others. I took my father's advice and distanced myself, regardless of whether or not it hurt. My brother, my mother, and anyone else before my father's passing who mattered suddenly didn't. This lifestyle doesn't allow it. I was taught that love makes a person weak—it gives the enemy the upper hand.

But then Carmen Abdullahi showed up in a neon green lingerie set and fucked me up for good.

"Jason mentioned this guy once or twice. Saw him lurking around by the deli when he made some deliveries." Delano steps forward into the room, careful not to step in the blood. "If the rumors are true, I'm glad he's dead."

If the rumor on the street is correct, Sienna isn't the only woman he assaulted. If she hadn't had the balls to kill him, I would have done so myself. It would have a more painful death than stabbing his jugular but to each their own. It was her revenge to take.

And it bothers the hell out of me that I didn't think to look at the mugshot more closely than before. If I had recognized him, maybe this situation could have been prevented.

"Me too," I reply, crouching down beside him. There's a faint hint of metallic, but I've grown so accustomed to the smell at this point that I barely notice it. "My acquaintance informed me of another problem for us. His sister got away."

"An acquaintance," Delano repeats slowly. He knows better than to question me, but he's known me for years. He's the closest thing to a friend I have, so if anyone could catch me in a lie, it'd be him. However, we're far from friends. The less personal details people know about me, the better. Less pain if I die. Less hurt.

And I don't need to tell him Lincoln is my brother. Granted, a quick search on the internet could prove that, but speaking about my family feels...personal.