Wattpad Original

38|Scar

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Scar

Lincoln

It's only eight o'clock in the morning and I'm already a bundle of nerves. The lobby is filled with different media outlets from the news to social media, and although Sienna tried to catch me up to speed on some of the questions they might ask, I still don't feel prepared. Sure, I did the research for my business proposal, and I may have more understanding about my company than I did before, but I still don't feel confident. I don't think I ever will.

Sienna meets me outside my hotel room with a cup of coffee in her hand held out to me. I glance both ways to make sure Rachel isn't with her before I lean down and press a kiss to her lips. "Good morning," I tell her. "Thank you for the coffee."

She yawns and takes a sip of her cup. "You're welcome. Are you ready to do this?"

"No, but it doesn't look like you are either. I take it you didn't sleep well? I told you that it would be fine if you slept over."

"I know, I know. I'm just trying to take things slow, you know? I think I should have listened to you, though. I'm exhausted."

I arch a brow. "Nightmares?"

She nods and presses the button that will take us down to the lobby, and I hate that I'll have to stop touching her once we enter the elevator. I hate that I can't keep my hand on her lower back, or hold her hand, but she hasn't wanted to make this public yet, and with everything going on with my company, I understand. We can't risk our relationship getting out there right now.

My phone goes off in my suit pocket, so I fish it out with one hand, still holding my cup of coffee in the other, seeing Archer's name pop up on the screen. Fuck. He must have found information on her ex. After we passed that church, I researched it when Sienna left my hotel room yesterday afternoon. It wasn't hard to find out who ran it, and then a quick search on Facebook was all I needed to find out the bastard's name. Travis Jones. Archer was doing a background check for me, and I'm assuming he's calling with the results.

I reluctantly decline the call, which catches Sienna's attention. "Someone important?"

"Not more important than you."

She smiles. "Nice save, but you can answer it if you need to. I won't mind."

Our elevator stops at floor six, and as soon as those doors open, fury sparks through every vein of mine. Jett is smiling from ear to ear as he steps in beside us, fixing the tie on his stupid pinstriped suit. "Well, isn't this a coincidence?" he asks.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I sneer.

Sienna takes a step away from me when Jett's eyes linger on how little space we have between us before he lets out a laugh. "You don't think I want information on how you plan to save the company? I'm here to learn about the renovations since you can't bother to return my calls."

"I'm not selling," I say.

"I didn't want to talk about selling, Lincoln, I wanted to learn more about what you had planned. This is our father's company, not just yours, so you can't blame me for wanting to be kept in the loop. I'm just here to make sure we won't go bankrupt because of you."

Sienna scoffs. "Please. He's not going to go bankrupt, Jett. He has me."

I roll my eyes when Jett smiles wider, seeming to prove a point. "He does, doesn't he?"

Thankfully, the elevator doors open to the lobby, and an array of people and cameras are stationed throughout the room. I extend my hand out for Sienna to exit first, gripping Jett by the arm when he tries to follow out behind her. "I don't care what the reason is that you're here for, just stay out of my way and don't cause any trouble."