|19| • Amelia

"Thanks for the ride, Everest."

Although weary of Darrick's change in emotion, I tried to give Everest a smile. He didn't tell me he was coming, then again, he didn't have to. Everest hummed, coming down from the vehicle as well. "I'll walk you to the gate." He offered, walking around to open my side of the door. I held in a blush, jumping down from the truck so I now reached his chest. His eyes trailed to my fingers which I kept playing with, I was nervous.

"Sweetheart." I looked up, it was as though he was shielding me from Darrick. I hummed, not wanting to meet his eye. I didn't want him to get the wrong idea about Darrick. I wasn't scared of him, I simply wondered why he looked so angry. "If you don't want to talk with him, just say so." See?! He was already having the wrong idea! Waving my hands in front of my face, I shook my head rapidly. "No. Evie, it's not that. Not at all." He did not look persuaded, but shrugged anyways. "I'll be here, okay?" My lips curled in awe, a blush warming my cheeks. "Okay," I whispered, barely audible.

"Amelia." Darrick drawled. "Are you hiding from me?" He sounded hurt, and my heart ached at his question. I'd never hide from him, ever! "Darrick, how can you say that?" I inch closer to him, cautiously opening my hands. Did he want a hug? A hug always made me feel better. Darrick let out a harsh breath, pulling me into a warm, tight hug. "I was worried." He breathed against my waist, hands snaking over my waist.

"Why were you worried?" I could feel his sadness from his hug, so I hugged him tighter. "Abel told me you were out with...him. Worry took over." Arching my head in confusion, I let him hug me some more. Everest was the last person I'd feel unsafe with, even if I was out with him at any time of the day. If we were together at night, I was doomed to swim in my needy thoughts; I'd want him to hold me and pull me close. Bad Amelia!

"Evie's safe. I promise. You don't have to be worried."

Darrick pulled away, "Evie?" Disdain coated his scowl. His gaze trailed to Everest who was leaning up against his truck, arms crossed on his chest. "What are you still doing here?" Darrick snarled, pulling me towards him. No...why did they glare at each other? This wasn't what I wanted. Why couldn't they just get along? I place my hand on Darrick's chest, pushing him away when he began inching closer to Everest.

"I'm making sure she enters the house before I go," Everest remarked with a casual shrug.

"Making sure? What? She just met you a week ago and suddenly I'm the threat?" Darrick grimaced, his arms folded. "Darrick, that's enough. You know he didn't mean it that way." Darrick's gaze softened when he met mine. "Amelia. Please don't be so gullible." I flinch at the word, I haven't been called that in a while. It stings. Was I being gullible?

"Look, man. That's enough." Everest said, raising his hands in surrender. "I didn't come here to argue." Darrick chuckled dryly, his body language showing no signs of backing down. "Oh, don't play that card. Abel told me you went to find her a job. I admit that's a good one." He folded his arms. "But really man, acting all innocent is just so sickening. What's next after the job? Ask her for compensation?" Everest's eyes widened a bit, what did he mean by compensation? It seemed like I didn't exist anymore, Their gaze was fixated on each other, jaw clenched and posture defensive.

"What? You don't want her to hear? Whether she knows it or not, you're still a paedophile man."

"Whoa, whoa." Everest held up his hand, coming forward in an instant. "I am not a paedophile." A paedophile? Wasn't that what they call men that were attracted to minors? I mean, I wasn't a minor...

"No? So what do you call this? You left women your age to follow someone who practically graduated high-school only two years ago." Everest tensed up, his eyes narrowing. I watched as he tugged on his hair, "Shit." He swore it seemed like he was having a conflict with himself. "You know I'm right." Darrick taunted with a smirk. Having enough of his harsh words, I push Darrick back, making him stumble. "I said that's enough, Darrick!"