|22| • Everest

Before the clock struck three, I was already belted in my truck, hands wrapped around the steering wheel. I remembered Amelia saying that was the time she'd close, and the last thing I wanted to do was keep her waiting -- especially curious on what she had to tell me that was so important she couldn't through a text.

Was she alright?

Did she want to borderline me at the friendzone for storming off that way? Had she decided her jealous best friend -- as Gabe put it, was a better fit for her? The latter thought twisted my stomach in a gut wrenching way, I didn't care if the lad was her age or just a few years older, I wasn't going to let him twist her mind just because I was far from their age group. 

Amelia...

I wondered how the first day of work went, even if I was still pissed, I did want to drop her off at work, give her the pep talk which I reckoned would calm her nervous hands. I wanted to see the adorable little lady sashay into the bakery with a bright smile. I found myself smiling just thinking of her. Dammit, what was the word for this? Whipped?

Cranking up the radio, I noted what Saffron asked me to get from my 'girlfriend's' bakery. I didn't bother correcting her, it was rather befitting for such a beautiful soul as Amelia. That was partially why I wanted to go a bit earlier. To catch a glimpse of her still working. 

"Good Lord." A chuckle left my lips as I realized how putty I was becoming, combing my hands through my hair, I ruffled it in embarrassment. Even my little sister noticed how much effort I put into my attire today, dozing the outfit in the Armani Diamonds perfume before coming here. 

Margret's Delight, the inscription was in view as I parked the truck. It was about twenty minutes until three, which meant, Amelia was most likely still on duty. Stretching out of my car, my eyes did a quick survey at the place. From the glass window I could see that it wasn't as busy, but customers still littered the place here and there. Though, I didn't see Amelia.

"Welcome to Margret's Delight!" Was the automatic greeted aimed in my direction as soon as I walked through the glass door. My eyes scanned around, a smile stretching as I saw my girl. 

There she was, that big smile of hers suiting her perfectly as she wore it, attired in a pair of loose jeans which where covered with an apron. Amelia was attending to a customer, an old woman, she slouched as if to hear the woman better. It was until a guy drew my attention that I realized I was still standing in the middle, blatantly staring at her. 

"Hey, aren't you the man that came last time? With Amelia." He said, turning to look at the oblivious girl then at me. I nodded, he recognized me, good. I didn't fancy being looked at as a creep. "Yeah, I am. Name's Everest. Everest Simon." He hummed, his smirk alluding the hint that he knew something. He extended his hand, "Preston. Nice to meet Amelia's not-yet boyfriend." I couldn't help but laugh.

"Sit, I take it you want her to be your waitress for today?" He led me to a table for two beside the window. "If it won't be a bother to her." "For you? I mean, I don't know her very much but I doubt that's even possible." With a wink, he walked over to the counter where Amelia was and in an instant, Amelia whipped around so fast I feared for her neck. I saw her lips part in a gasp and the sound of the pitter patter of her feet grew louder as she neared me.

"Everest! You're early!" She was grinning, it made me feel lighter. "Yeah, I am." I watched as she nervously played with her fingers, "Welcome to Margret's Delight, what can I get for you good sir?" Ah, I see. That was what they were meant to greet customers and seeing as I sat on the wooden furniture, I was one. So, I played along.

"Well pretty lady, I want a chocolate fudge cake with a banana loaf bread, please." She puffed her cheeks, blushing.

"Sir, you're not allowed to flirt with the waitress." I smirked, leaning in. "Well, I wasn't flirting. Just stating facts." Amelia giggled, throwing her head back. "You're so sly." She cheesed, telling me she'd pack up the order and come out since I was her last customer of the day.