|56| • Everest

"I said I'm coming, didn't I?"

Florescent was calling once again, she seemed rather impatient for my arrival. Kissing my teeth, I parked close to the condominium she was staying in, it was more than an hour's drive and the road was pretty free. With my phone still against my ear, I turned off the ignition.

"I guess I'm just a bit eager, Evie," Flo said teasingly, a snort coming after her words. How many times did I have to tell her? That name made me cringe when it didn't come from the right person, my Amelia. Rolling my eyes at her charades, I stepped out of my truck. The condo wasn't as large, it was on two floors and seemed not as luxurious as I imagined. Florescent did like things fancy.

"Don't call me that. And what floor did you say?"

"Second, were you always this cold? Or are you simply pretending? Hm, lover boy?" Florescent's words made me purse my lips. Was I being cold? I simply wanted to get this over with, there was a knot in my stomach, leaving Amelia that way. She was going to start her classes soon, meaning, she was going to be pretty busy.

I hadn't spent as much time as I wanted to.

"I'm hanging up now," I said before ending the call, digging the phone into my pocket. With an exaggerated sigh, I entered the reception of the condo. It was decent, and scented nice; the cool freeze from the air conditioner tickled my skin. Seeing no receptionist, I made my way to the second floor, using the stairs.

Flo needed money.

She said she was stranded. It did confuse me a bit, how would the man she came with — Tom, if I remembered correctly leave her? Did they have an argument that sent him packing? What kind of life had she built in Paris?

Questions swarmed my head, it was impossible not to get nervous.

Room 8, that was it.

Staring at the white wooden door, I brought my fist up to knock.

"We're forever, right?" Those words she had asked me in an intimate moment years ago came rushing back. Shaking my head, I knocked on the door. On the third knock, it opened sharply, revealing the woman I thought I'd come home to every day at one point in my life.

She smiled, "Hey, lover boy." Florescent moved before I could stop her, pushing herself against my chest, her arm going to cling around my neck. When did we start hugging so often? I did that once because I hadn't seen her in a while. Kissing my teeth, I pushed her gently by her arm, stepping away.

"A hello would do," I told her, bringing my eyebrows together in discomfort. Florescent stepped away, widening the door so I could enter. "It's just a friendly hug." She mumbled, when I walked in, I could see her pout from my peripheral vision. "How are you?" She asked, her bare feet leaving pitter-patter sounds as she walked into what I assumed was the kitchen, coming back with a bottle of wine and two glasses.

"Happy." The words left my lips before I knew it. That was the truth though, I was ecstatic with how things in my life were playing out. My new apartment, my job, Amelia...
A chortle of laughter pulled me back to reality, "What a vague answer, Simon." Florescent uttered, her tone teasing. With a sashay, she dropped the tray on the coffee table. I sat opposite her, on the double sofa, my hands intertwined.

I wasn't here for small talk.

"You look uncomfortable," Flo stated, taking her slender finger to run through her long strands, fluffing it on the way down. She had on a pair of shorts with a thin tank top, it was her house anyways. Narrowing my eyes, I shrugged.

"I guess I kind of am."

"I don't get it, I thought we were okay now? Why are you being so cold to me?" As she spoke, her tone got stronger, I knew she was growing frustrated. Florescent was always quick to get angry. How was I supposed to reply to that? I wasn't being cold, I just didn't want to talk for long. I needed to get back soon as I'd promised my sweetheart.