|35| • Everest

She ran.

My heart felt as though it had been ripped out of my chest, and stomped on. I had made sure to fix up Florescent's car on time so I could meet up with Amelia before she closed, telling Abel I needed to be home because there was an emergency. When I got there, I saw the guy who drove her off from the mechanic shop. I knew he looked familiar.

"She's not here." His tone was rigid, stare not meeting mine. I knew it was a lie. So I insisted, he most likely knew a bit of what was happening so I told him I'd get it sorted. It told him it was a misunderstanding. I wasn't sure what Flo told her other than us being engaged but she seemed sad and hurt. It was all my fault. Dammit, I felt like shit the whole time. Seeing her tears drop because of me hurt.

After she left, I didn't even know what to say to Flo. I was too gutted to say anything. All I did was go back to the shop, fix her car silently and when Abel came, I told him I needed to leave early. So yes, you can say seeing her run from me into the toilet ripped the shred of hope I had left.

"Shit," I muttered to myself on impulse. It was the staff bathroom, which clearly prohibited anyone else from entering. I ran my hand through my hair, tugging against it. What now? Looking towards Preston, I saw he was already glaring at me, with a sigh, I made my way towards him.

"Please, man."

He rose his hand in surrender. "What do you want me to do? She bolted into the bathroom man. You're on your own." Preston — I think that was his name, said casually with a shrug.

Huffing, I decide to go into the bathroom, but before I could reach the handle, Preston stopped me. "Woah, man. You do realise if Mrs M sees you you're suspended from coming to the shop." He rushed out with a confused look, how was I meant to know that? I'd be prohibited from coming here? Could I really risk not seeing Amelia here again just for today? I tugged in my hair.

"Then what should I do?!"

"Don't raise your voice at me," Preston said with his jaw clenched. This made me calm down, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I just...I need to, okay?" He huffed, walking away. Muttering the same words he did before, you're on your own. I swore, why would she bolt off?

Gabe warned me.

I should have listened, I thought I still had time. How was I supposed to know Amelia would come to see me when Flo was there? Goodness, I didn't even know what that woman said to my little lady. What caused tears to brim her eyes? What on earth did she hear to make her voice hard?

Dammit.

I began to knock on the door, hard. "Amelia, please come out." Could she even hear me in there? Crud. I knocked again, closing my ear to the door to listen for anything that gave her movement away. None. "Amelia, please let me explain. Baby, come on."

Nothing.

"Do you need some help?" I turned around, to see a short girl with brown hair. Her eyes were similar to doe eyes, she had a cute face. "I'm Ava! Also, I'm going to the toilet anyways." She introduced cheerfully.

"Please, I'd appreciate that Ava." She nodded, turning the door knob open before disappearing inside. Trying to be patient, I gave myself reasons not to barge into this darned door blocking me from getting to Amelia. Finally, I heard mutters before Amelia stumbled out with wide eyes.

"Ava! You did not just shove me out!" Amelia's eyes were wide in panic, without looking my way, she was about to sprint back in. That was when I snapped.

"No, you don't." The words left my lips faster than I could process, my hands scooping the little lady up. Amelia squealed, as though surprised that she was being lifted up. "Everest!" Her shriek was in a whisper, probably because the bakery wasn't empty. Oh, now she knew I was here? Cute.