|21| • Amelia

Papa's face read shocked as I said him I was going to work today, I told Everest not to bother dropping me off this morning, since Abel would be free. And...I couldn't face him yet. I felt so guilty for kissing Darrick immediately our lips separated! I may have also asked him to leave my room, my heart couldn't stop thudding yesterday, thinking of whether to tell Everest or not. I just hoped he wasn't going to be mad, if Evie told me he kissed a woman, I'd be furious!

"When did you get the job?" Papa asked, his eyebrows raising inquisitively, his face morphed into an expression I made out to be happiness. I grinned as well, placing a palm on my waist. Today, I had on loose jeans which hung against my waist and hips, paired with a white long-hand polo. I wanted to be casual, seeing as I'd put an apron over it. I was kind of excited to go back to Margret's Delight, especially as a working girl!

"I got the job yesterday, so I'll be there until three o'clock," I told him with a smile. Seeing him without a scowl or his eyebrows furrowed made my insides giddy. Papa wasn't angry at me, no, he looked pretty proud of my words. "About time." He chuckled. "What's the pay?" He set his chin on the crook of his palm just as Abel came in, raising his shirt with his teen as he did his belt. "Mrs M said it'll be seventeen dollars per hour." He nodded, looking down at his newspaper.

"That's a good one, Ama." When was the last time he called me that? The nickname stretched my lips into a silly grin. "Thanks, Papa!" Abel picked up the milk carton from the fridge, gulping it directly. "Abel! That's disgusting!" I huffed, glaring at my older brother. How could he do such a thing? I was hoping to eat cereal when I got back! He poured a portion of cereal into his mouth as well, mixing it in. I gagged playfully as Papa chuckled.

"Better get a new carton on your way back, Abel." Abel gasped. "It's still remaining."

"Like hell it is." I giggle at their cute banter before skipping over to his car outside. "Let's go, Abel! I don't want to be late." I remembered how the road which led to the bakery, I also had the address, so I inputted it into the GPS in Abel's car as he came out of the house.

"How come Everest isn't taking you? I thought the two of you were becoming inseparable." I blushed at the mention of his name, I wondered what he was doing at this time, the guilt also chirped in. "I...uh..." pursing my lips, I decided to take my words one at a time. "I didn't want to bother him." He hummed, reversing out of the parking lot.

"I'm pretty sure that'll be the last thing on his mind. The lad is smitten if I do say so myself." My heart whined at the word. "He did say he likes me," I confessed cheekily, playing with my fingers. Was it obvious that he liked me? Maybe in the way, he looked at me? My bottom lip got in between my teeth in thought, I like the way he looked at me, I wouldn't mind his hands caressing my thigh as he'd done before. Amelia! I shake the lewd thoughts away.

"Bold of him. That reminds me, I think he's interested in working in my shop. He came a few days ago. Remind him to give me a call if he's still interested." My ears perked up, Everest wanted to work at my big brother's mechanic shop. That was great! Seemed like I'd be paying Abel a visit more often. I hummed, nodding my head. I was sure he hasn't called Abel because he was preoccupied with my job hunting. He was so selfless, I found it rather charming.

"Alright, so am I picking you up or is he?" Abel asked, stopping near Margret's Delight. He observed the place with an eyebrow raised, nodding his head in approval before glancing at me. I blushed, a bit unsure how Everest would react when I told him about the kiss. "He is," Abel smirked. "Of course he is."

The bakery had just opened, and from the glass window, I could see Preston wave at me as he clutched a broom in his hand. I giggled at this. "Good morning, sunshine." Preston grinned, supporting his soothing words with a wink. I smiled back, waving. "Hi, Preston! I hope I'm not late." It seemed more of a question but when he shook his head, I relaxed.