|84| • Amelia

I didn't think Everest would remember his words, but when he asked if I wanted to go with him to an empty road so he'd teach me to drive; ecstatic couldn't even begin to make up my emotion. My chest swelled in giddiness; this man was quite thoughtful, my man cared about every little thing I said. It was almost shocking.

We were both inside his truck, driving with a light conversation in the air, he was telling me how he began driving. He'd taken his dad's car as an act of rebellion when he graduated from college. Pick up the car, turn on the engine and begin to move. This made me burst out laughing, the nerve! I couldn't begin to imagine how traumatised my Papa would be if I took his car out for a spin. Firstly, I'd return without a hood! If I even got the car back in one piece — much less myself.

When I asked how his first drive was, he described it as being excited and filled with fear. He had dashed into the road and when he saw other cars, his heart began to drum loudly, so loud he thought he was having a heart attack. "But I overcame that fear and drove around laughing hysterically. Someone would probably think I had a body in the boot." Everest's words tickled me into another fit of laughter. I could imagine him as a teenager; I bet he had more of his boyish looks back then, with his tousled hair he said to have dyed blonde back then.

"So what'd your dad say about your rebel ways?" I asked with a grin, twirling my finger against my palm which was on my thigh. Lightly tracing the veins on the back of his palm, I smiled to myself. "Oh, what else could he say? We weren't on the best terms so I guess he was happy I at least wanted a reaction out of him. He first checked the car then a proud smile lit up his face." Everest chortled as though he was living that day over again.

"My dad would knock the rebel out of you," I said teasingly. My Papa didn't believe in 'sparing' the rod. When I was still little, any trace of misbehaviour was reset with a sharp knock to my head — and Abel's. Fun time...well, back then it certainly wasn't fun back then with a throbbing scalp. Everest bellowed a laughter. "I don't expect any less from my man Joseph."

"Your man? Since when?" I teased, lightly squeezing his hands. "That's right, Papa did ask of you when I met them. I didn't know the two of you were getting closer." Everest smirked, shrugging. "What can I say? The old man is growing on me."

I smiled, genuinely happy. That was the same thing Papa said. When he had their differences months ago, I was quite worried. But now, they were growing fond of each other; what more could I ask for?  

"I'm glad."

Looking out of the car, I saw we were now on an empty road. It looked like a neighbourhood; a quiet one, but the roads went on for a good while. As I stared, my heart began to this louder, was I going to learn to drive? Oh gosh, what if I crashed his truck?! What if I toppled the car over and he got hurt?!

"Amelia!"

"Y-yes? Huh?" I jolted out of the anxiousness to meet a concerned Everest. The car had stopped now and he was leaning closer to me, his hand on my shoulder. "Easy girl, breathe." Oh, was I that noticeable? Following his instructions, I began controlling my breathing until my heart reduced the rate at which it was thudding. Oh boy, if I was this nervous, how was I going to move the car?

"You're okay." He said, caressing my cheeks, his words so gentle that I believed him. Nodding, a smile replaced the purse on my lips. He was here, I'd be okay; I knew that much. "There you go." He smiled, leaning out. It was moments like these that I was incredibly grateful I met such a wonderful man. Who else would speak so softly to soothe my growing nerves? Or handle me like I was delicate? The butterflies swarmed in, replacing the nervous feeling with giddiness.

"I'm sorry, I just freaked out for a second."

"No need to apologise, it's quite normal to freak out you know? So I'm coming down now, you do the same. Let's switch." Oh, it was happening already! Nodding, I unbuckled my seatbelt, jumping down from the Hilux with a triumphant smile. There was no reason to freak out; it was just a machine, right? A machine that moved, psh, big deal.