♣ chapter 11

I slide into my jeans, wishing I could be in my own room so bad

I slide into my jeans, wishing I could be in my own room so bad. Instead, I'm locked in this guest bathroom across from the room my brother was knocked out in.

Maybe I should just go home.

Even though Emilio wants to stay, I can't stand being in a place I'm not already familiar with. And there is way too much testosterone.

I have to be at school today before 7:45, whether or not Eros is with me. I'm secretly hoping Eros isn't awake so I can leave without him. And to be honest, who would willingly get up before 7 am?

I could probably sneak out of the house alone.

Yep, grab the keys and sprint.

I wonder how my father is getting around without a car. He probably hasn't left the house since we left a couple of nights ago.

I check myself in the mirror, throwing my hair over my shoulder.

Taking a deep breath, I leave the bathroom and grab my backpack.

I grab the keys off the small table in the hallway, the house completely silent.

Oh, good, now I can go alone.

I make sure to get a water bottle from the kitchen, then quietly walk toward the front door.

"Amorette," although quiet, I instantly recognize the voice. I fight a groan that threatens to escape, and turn around to face the person I was dreading to see.

Eros stands in the dark, hands tucked into pockets of black joggers.

Oh, goodness.

His eyes lack sleep, and I wonder if he ever actually went to bed last night.

"Have you slept?" I question with a whisper. I realized I probably wasn't going to get out alone, so I set the keys back down.

"Don't need to," he said, shaking his head. He holds up the keys to his car, motioning us back toward the door.

How does one function without sleep?

He opens the front door quietly, leaving a gap for me to walk out first. The sun had barely risen, and I found myself glancing back at him as if someone would pop out behind us.

"Do you actually want to go today?" I ask as he opens the passenger door for me. I mumble a small thank you as he puts my bag in the back.

He gets into the driver seat, "Never said I didn't."

I cross my arms over the seatbelt, "I don't want you to feel obligated to go."

"I do what I want, Amorette. Enough," he tells me, starting the car. His words were harsh, but his tone was relaxed.

"Sorry," I mutter. He gives me a look.

"How do you not sleep?" I question, but my curiosity leaves some room for him to ignore me.