♣ chapter 18

I'm breathing in through my nose, out through my mouth, trying to calm down

Everyone was being called by their names to go walk on the stage and accept their diplomas, and I was standing behind the curtains freaking the fuck out.

George Lin Pierce was having a blast, casually reading his speech over again and looking at me like I'm a loser. I kind of am, to be honest.

"Fuck," I whispered, praying so hard that I didn't mess up or make a fool of myself.

"Amorette Ávila, ladies and gentlemen. Your Salutatorian," our principal announces, motioning for me to walk up the stairs and to the podium. I clasp my hands together, taking a deep breath before making my way up to him.

He shakes my hand, telling me congratulations and letting me have the microphone.

I slide it back into its stand, looking out at the hundreds of faces staring back at me.

Not one of those faces belong to Emilio. Not one of those faces belong to my father.

But Amaiah smiles at me, shooting me a sheepish thumbs up.

I smile, and take out my notes to assist me.

"Good evening, friends, family, students, and faculty," I start, hearing my voice echo slightly.

Family.

"It is an honor to present this title today, even though it's technically second place," I add, and a few parents smile at my words.

"My words tonight are directed toward my fellow classmates. You have been prepared for the world throughout the past 4 years, but the world is not prepared for you," I speak, hearing a couple of whistles. One being Amaiah. I smile.

"We strive and stress our whole youth to get to this moment. All of us move forward onto different paths, influenced by all of our different inspirations. However, I ask you remember one thing no matter what your career holds."

"In the Declaration of Independence, there are three unalienable rights: Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. Take advantage of the opportunity in front of you today, and fulfill these dreams."

"In the wise words of Hamlet, 'We know what we are, but not what we may be,". So I advise you today that when you leave this school for good, you continue to grow, learn, and succeed. Your life is what you make it, so make it great. Make it your own, and do what makes you happy. I welcome your Valedictorian and a wonderful achiever, George Lin Pierce. Thank you."

My walk away from the stage is filled with cheers and applause, and for a split second, I believe every single word I said.

I hear George thank me for the introduction, but my eyes are too focused on the empty seats that should be filled by my family. I sit down in the plush chair to the far end of the stage, my diploma sitting heavy on my lap.