♣ chapter 40

Amorette's hand squeezes mine as we sit down at the table with twenty other people

Amorette's hand squeezes mine as we sit down at the table with twenty other people. At least some of the crowd had left, mostly only here for business purposes.

Her presence cools the anger in my mind, and she never lets me lose my self control. Her skin on mine keeps me grounded, and I don't think she realizes the impact it has on me.

Many conversations are heard throughout the dining table, but I can just sense my father's stare on the back of my head as I look down at Amorette.

If there was one thing we had in common besides appearance, it was the ability to intimidate. I learned from the best, but that doesn't mean he doesn't get to my head.

My father's chef prepared the dishes that are being passed around, but I can't even think about being hungry right now.

"That looks so good," Amorette mumbled, watching as a plate got placed in front of her.

"Thank you," she said, ogling the roasted vegetables and seasoned chicken.

Noticing my eyes on her, she glanced up, her brows furrowed innocently.

I was so fucking obsessed with that look. She drives me crazy.

"I'm glad everyone could be here tonight," my father starts, catching the attention of the whole table, "Most of you are here to get the latest insight of the increase in markets, but this is really to commemorate the beginning of this business and my return to it."

The majority claps, Amorette stares at me blankly. I know she has questions, but I do not believe she will be ready for the answers. However, I succumbed myself to that possibility by bringing her here.

The gun in my waistband felt heavy as my father looked around at all of the acquaintances he had became close with before leaving the States, and I eventually tuned out his bottomless speech. Instead, I watched Amorette take a bite of her potatoes.

"Your aunts are very nice people," she told me quietly, gazing into my eyes.

"They're dramatic," I said. Amorette giggled, nodding in agreement and holding my hand tightly. Her touch was like fire.

She inspected the ink on the back of my hand, almost as if she forgot it was there. "I think I want another tattoo," she mumbled, "My first one hurt like a bitch, though. The one on my ribs, you know?"

I nodded, knowing exactly which one she was talking about. It fit her so well, but I don't see her as someone who would get multiple tattoos.

"But maybe you're just rubbing off on me," she quirked, "Aren't you almost out of room?"

I motioned to the underside of my knee, "Some."

"That must be so painful," she winced, glancing down at the spot.

I shrugged.

I noticed that people had finally started to eat and converse, which meant that this night was closer to being over.