♣ chapter 46

"That was it?" Quinton asked Dante, glancing at me as I sat on the couch in the office

"Left her in there for a bit longer to see if she would rat," Dante smirked, crossing his arms. I pursed my lips.

"I didn't," I state.

Quinton nods, "I know, Amorette."

"Mike's ass won't know what hit him when he gets suspended again," Dante muses, tossing his suit jacket onto the chair before sitting down.

"Eros will be pleased," Quinton said, and I didn't know if he was talking to me or Dante.

Secretly, I hoped it was me.

"Questioning never gets him anywhere. He knows Declan's up in there sharing their every move," Dante says, his scary eyes glaring off into the distance.

"This has only made things more complicated. If Eros wasn't itching to make his presence known already, this might set him off completely now," Quinton summarized, flipping through a file on the desk.

God, I missed Eros. Even his name made me sad now.

"You mean...?" Dante trails off. Quinton nodded.

"He's made his priorities clear, and staying under the radar hasn't been one of them," Quinton adds.

What are they talking about?

"He doesn't care anymore..." Dante concludes, almost as if he was convincing himself.

"He does, but about different things now," Quinton mentioned.

He does care.

———

"Nothing yet?"

Amaiah continued to brush my hair.

"Nobody's heard anything," I answered, watching the wind blow through the trees outside of Amaiah's house.

"I can't help but feel guilty, you know," she admits. I look back at her, my eyes wide.

What was she talking about?

"Why?"

Amaiah exhales, "I was arguing with Axel while he was trying to figure his shit out...maybe if I had just let them be, they could have gotten out in time and none of this would've happened."