♣ chapter 37

A rough knock on the door woke me up from my mid-afternoon nap, and I slowly turned over to face the bedroom door

A rough knock on the door woke me up from my mid-afternoon nap, and I slowly turned over to face the bedroom door. In the corner of my eye, I notice the clock reading 7:30, and I immediately realize I overslept.

I reach for my glasses right as Eros steps inside the room, followed by a nosey Malo who wants to be included. I had taken my contacts out before taking a nap, knowing it would be painful if woke up with them still in.

I prop myself up, trying to see if Eros is still in a bad mood. He rubs Malo's head as they move near the bed.

"I forgot to set an alarm-"

Eros shook his head, cutting me off. I rolled my lips together, starting to push myself out of the bed. "No rush," he added, even though I knew he wanted to be at Reign's before eight.

I rush anyway, heading toward the closet for something presentable to wear. Eros's eyes are set heavily on me the whole time. It's very difficult to ignore, especially when he sits down on the edge of the bed so he's facing me. Malo plops down beside him, wanting attention as usual.

I find the nearest clean shirt and replace my current sweatshirt with it, hurrying around the room frantically trying to find my phone.

"Retta."

My lips part, and a feeling of warmth spreads in my chest. I feel like he hadn't said my name like that in so long. I turn, my hands shoved into a random drawer that definitely does not have my phone in it.

Eros is holding my phone, and my shoulders sag in relief that I didn't lose it. His gaze narrows as it trails down my body, lingering especially on my legs.

I shut the drawer, then saunter over to stand between his knees. I reach for my phone, but his hand clutches my jaw and pulls me forward instead. His lips meet mine, and a small gasp escapes me at the contact. I melt suddenly, his touch igniting heat inside of me everywhere. I can feel it pool in my stomach, then rise to my blushing cheeks.

My arms cautiously wrap around his neck, and my body slumps further into him as if he's my stability.

"Eros," I mumbled with my lips against his, completely forgetting the task I needed to be rushing through.

He kisses me like I am all he knows, but deep down, I know he'll begin to shut me out the next second something bad happensjust like this morning.

My doubts fold over into hopes, and all I care about is this moment, even though it will be the death of me.

"Eros, we're gonna be late," I whispered, finally pulling away for air. His gray eyes peered up at mine, staring so deep I thought he could see straight through them.

My fingertips graze his jaw before I finally drag myself away from him, continuing my search for a pair of shoes.

I didn't know exactly what we were doing at Reign's, but I knew it involved food, and I wasn't turning that down at all. "Do you know if Rika's gonna be there?" I wondered out loud, knowing it was still a touchy subject for Noah.