♣ chapter 21

I let Amaiah drag me off my towel because she insists on getting me in the ocean

I let Amaiah drag me off my towel because she insists on getting me in the ocean. Michael's speaker plays music beside us, and Axel tackles Reign into the ocean. Rika sings along to Drake while letting the tide brush back and forth past her. She insists on keeping her hair dry.

Luis and Luca sip beers by the cooler, and that Noah guy is buried completely in the sand up to his neck.

"Goddamn," the muttered whisper makes me shift uncomfortably. I turn my head, seeing Luis's eyes on a place where they shouldn't be.

"Gross," Amaiah shook her head with disgust, "Stop being a creep, Luis."

He grins, holding up his hands in surrender, "Can't help myself, babe."

I roll my eyes, telling Amaiah to ignore him. We walk into the ocean, sand and small rocks beneath our feet. She grasps my hand when the pretty blue water reaches our hips.

"The current isn't that strong, Amaiah," Axel teases her, splashing water towards us. We squeal at the cold drops that hit us.

Amaiah gives him the middle finger as we trudge further out to a point when I'm barely touching the bottom. I made sure to put my hair up high before we walked down to the beach, but that doesn't mean I was going under. I hate the feeling of salt water on my face.

There weren't too many people on the beach yet, but a few other kids our age gave us weird looks.

I hate people.

"I could do this all day," Amaiah sighs dramatically as she floats in the water. She looks so relaxed, but by the end of today, we'll both look like wet dogs.

Axel comes up behind her, looking at me with a mischievous smile and a finger to his lips. I pretend like I didn't see anything, and I nod at Amaiah as if I'm just casually listening to her.

Then, when she least expects it, he grabs her and screams in her ear. She jumps and shouts at him, smacking him on the shoulder before he throws her over his shoulder.

"You fucking dick," she grumbles, reaching out to me like I'm going to save her. I smile, not moving a muscle.

"Traitor!" Amaiah points at me, and I just laugh at her.

My head tilts at how cute they are, and it almost makes me sick. That type of love should be illegal. It's too adorable for the rest of us.

"You think there's sharks in this ocean?"

I look to my right, seeing a blonde guy who can't be older than seventeen right beside me. How did he get there?

"Probably," I tell the surfer boy, "But not this high up the shore."

He flashes a charming smile, and I'm sure he wins all the lovesick teenage girls over with it. I'm starting to think he believes it will work on me.

"What if I told you there was one out there?" he says, pointing out deep into the ocean, "Would you believe me?"