♣ chapter 43

I had finished cleaning up after making dinner, and I was now relaxing on the couch with Malo and Belen on either side of me

I had finished cleaning up after making dinner, and I was now relaxing on the couch with Malo and Belen on either side of me. I pushed my tilting glasses back up, flipping the page of my book.

I could hear Quinton's frantic keyboard typing from his spot by the island. I left a plate of chicken and rice adorned with vegetables for him, and he eventually came out to eat it. However, he seemed to never stop working, even during meals.

The silence had settled in, which made it horribly frightening when there was an unusual noise coming from outside the front door.

At first, I thought it was Quinton moving around by the foyer, but I could see him still sitting in his same spot. His head was turned toward the sound as well, and he glanced back at me before snapping into action.

My book was long forgotten on the side table, and the dogs had jumped off the couch with a guarding motivation.

I automatically stood up near Malo and Belen, but they kept me cornered in a protective position.

My heart raced when Quinton pulled out his gun, and he glanced at the monitor against the wall that showed the cameras. However, the only thing that could be seen was were the two guards by the gate and the empty path that led to the front door.

Quinton's demeanor flipped, his shoulders broad and posture straight. He looked deadly as he moved silently toward the front door, and my hands instinctively trembled at what was happening.

For a moment, I thought it could be the guards moving outside, but then the same sound rang out again. And when Quinton quickly swung the door open with his gun readied, my first instinct was to run.

Lying on the porch was the guard who I always saw positioned at the entrance, and he was bleeding from a deep wound in his skull.

Oh my...

Dread filled my stomach.

Quinton cursed, his head on a swivel as he checked in both directions for the culprit. And as I went to grab my phone, the sound of glass shattering behind me made me scream.

I spun around, horrified to my bones.

A stealthy figure dressed in all black stepped over the threshold of the broken back door, the outside lights glinting against the shiny metal in his hand. The dogs barked at the intrusion.

Time stopped, and complete and utter chaos erupted within me.

Something had snapped inside of me, adrenaline rushing through my veins. The second I saw the bloodied knife in the masked man's grasp, I reached in between the cushions of the couch. I prayed hard that the gun Eros hid there for emergencies was still loaded.

I heard Quinton shout something from behind me, but all I could focus on was the intruder lunging toward me.

Fear struck me hard, barely giving me a moment to click the safety off and pull the trigger. I didn't even know what I was aiming at, but when the loud shot deafened me, the world went silent and my eyes were screwed shut.