Chapter twelve

Hi guys!!
Hope you guys enjoyed your weekend? The feedbacks I received from you guys encouraged me to keep writing this story. Just as we laugh, I want us to learn one or two things which I would love you guys to contribute to.

Enjoy!

Second term resumed. I heard Mr. Rafael, our English teacher had caused commotion in school for the coming literary and debate day. I had gathered more information about the topic I was to talk on. That topic especially interest me a lot, and I searched for the information needed.

"Shhh.....silent please!" Mr Rafael shouted through the microphone, warning the pupils to keep quiet.

"Can I have Suzy James on stage please.." He called, and everywhere was quiet. I let out a heavy breath before I finally stood up. Everyone clapped, while my classmates hail me and I couldn't help but smile, walking with confidence to the stage. Everyone brought out their jotters and pens to jot down my points.

I got to the stage, holding the microphone firmly. "Good morning everyone," I greeted.

"Good morning." The students all replied.

"The topic I'm to talk about is teen pregnancy." I introduced the topic. "I will be talking on the causes, effects, and solution to teen pregnancy. This occur not only in Nigeria but in most part of the world today." I put on a bold face and my voice became very audible for those at the back to hear.

"Causes of teen pregnancy today are numerous, but I will mention few I have with me. Firstly, lack of sex education, in school and at home. I remembered when I started my menstral period and I told my mom about it, she began with 'Suzy you have to be careful around guys, because if a guy touches you, it's pregnancy'."  I said and everyone laughed. "We can't blame mothers for that. They might be trying to scare us, but still we know we had to be careful around guys."

"Secondly, lack of supervision before teens are ready for independence. And what about teens from broken home and neglected families trying to find comfort? Children who are not shown love and affection from parents will seek it out from their peer group. There should be effective communication between parents and their children, especially the girls. Mothers have a lot to do when it comes to female children. They need to be given advise almost all the time. Parents should get to know who their children hang out with. And I would say environment is part of the causes."

Everyone clapped, hailing, while some were busy jotting. I continued. "Poverty is not just the cause, but also the consequences of teen pregnancy. Girls from a poor background taking advantage of that to sleep with men just to get money, might be unlucky, resulting to pregnancy which can be denied, leaving her alone to care for the child without provisions. Where by, it will be hard to put food on the table." I paused as everyone clapped again.