Chapter thirty six

When the birthday girl was mistaken as the bride...

Every October 31st, two months after Mercy's birthday, was my birthday too. I wanted to announce again that I was only celebrating my birthday and not getting married. A week before my day, Mom called and prayed with me. Sister Blessing also was not left out. Mercy also sent a message and tried to hide her number when she called me too, but she didn't succeed. I recognised her voice.

I didn't discuss about celebrating my sixteenth birthday with Dad because recently, Dad had given me a new motto, 'be prepared'. If I tried asking for anything, my waec exams would find it way into our conversation and would end with, 'be prepared'.

My corner was full of gifts. From a lot of people I was not even expecting gifts from. Many people walked up to me and gave me gifts. The prefects were not left out too. Separately, Gabriel Whyte, the head boy came to me and surprised me with another gift wrapped with a beautiful wrapping paper.

This same head boy, we barely talk except from time we needed to work together. I couldn't remember the day we talked knowing we were in the same class if not because we were both chosen as leaders. He was that very quiet and always on his own. But guy was extremely brilliant and would always walk around with a novel with him. I knew he wasn't a Nigerian because he was very fair and his skin looked a bit different from ours. May be half Nigerian. I didn't bother to ask people about him cause students can be so funny.

I was overwhelmed by the love everyone showed me. Rose also gave me a present even though we barely talked after talking about church and spent time quoting verses together. Since then, I have a particular name I called her.

'My church girl.'

I was parading in my corner sorting out the gifts everyone gave me when I heard familiar voices. My girls were singing as they made their way to my corner.

"Hip Hip Hip!!!'

"Hurray!!!" They screamed.

When I turned back, I almost fainted at the sight of the huge cake behind me. But I dare not faint because I was not ready to miss out of the sweet cake. So instead of fainting, my mouth gaped open. Victoria, Kunmi, Temi and Debbie did surprise me, and left me speechless. I wasn't expecting something as huge or big as what I saw. These kids were rich though. But only love can make you sacrifice so much for someone no matter what you have.

I noticed I couldn't find Temi and Kunmi when I woke up this morning. I woke up with the scream of 'happy birthday' around me though. The girls really planned this well because I felt so loved and happy. And they actually celebrated my sixteenth birthday for me. We took pictures with my tab and did a lot of silly things together.

"Happy birthday to you Suzy." A voice said, walking towards my corner. "The house mistress wants to see you now, and-" she quickly stopped. "Be very fast. She's waiting at the dinning now," she said, and left.

I pushed the remaining cake in my mouth and stood up. "Just a minute," I told the girls and headed straight to the dinning. Opening the gate to the hall, the moment I raised my head, my face lit up with joy and I ran to the woman whose smile was greeting me from afar. "Mom, you came! Oh my Gwad! You surprise me!" I hugged her and at the corner of my eye, I found my sister. Guess what... Tears were starting to form. I wasn't expecting any surprise from these women. I was thrilled. Before I knew it, it fell. The tears fell and rolled down gently.