Chapter Thirty One

When I got to Mercy's place at Ajah, everyone was treating me like a visitor. My mom's younger sister was very happy to see me, including her husband.

"Mercy, are you not going to take Suzy out?"

"Mercy, you guys should go to the cinema."

"No Suzy, don't wash."

"What! Suzy Leave the plates."

" Suzy take chinchin."

"Suzy take cake."

"Take this, take that."

Haha... If not that my pastor had preached and told me how paradise really looked like, I would think I had gotten to one. Where we won't wash plates, wash clothes, iron Dad's clothes, except from eating all day. They knew I eat a lot and because of that, they made plenty of food available for me.

Seriously, if this was the kind of life Mercy lived here, then she definitely won't be able to cook an ordinary Noddles. I had been there for three days and my hands never touched water except from my bathing water. The things I could remember my hand was carrying was a bottle of coke, fanta, cake, ice cream, meat pie, chicken, and all different kind of soft drinks.

The day I arrived, I tried to carry the plate I used to eat, but immediately Aunty saw me, she quickly stopped me. "No, Suzy drop it. Nana come come," she called their maid, who came rushing to the dinning and packed all the dirty plates. I could see the girl was taken care of, because some of the clothes she was putting on were quite expensive. But the work she does in a day.. 

Anything, Nana.

Sweeping, Nana.

Spoon, Nana

TV remote, Nana.

Water, Nana.

Bag, Nana.

Everything, Nana. Nana. Nana.

If it was possible for someone to feed them, it would be Nana. They had a woman who cook in the house. There was also a woman who came by every day to clean the surroundings and clean the toilets and bathrooms. It was fun being around. Mercy and I barely stayed at home. We were both going out and buying different things to prepare for her sixteenth birthday. I met some of her friends as well.

And guess what?

They all knew I was a student of Crown school. The whole time we were together, they were asking me all sort of questions.

"The boys are fine shey?"

Only Victor.

I could only answer that to myself.

"I heard the girls are proud," someone else asked.

"Why won't they be, don't you know how much they are paying?" They were answering themselves already. They went on and on until I signaled to Mercy that I needed to escape. One of them called Bukky was throwing me questions as if she was working or had worked for the press before.

"So they make you guys salad?"

Wetin!

Aunty Bukky wetin!