Chapter seventeen

Exactly four o'clock on Sunday evening, I arrived at school. I intentionally did not call Kunmi nor Victoria to tell them I was on my way. Quietly, I entered the room. There was no one in the room except Benedicta who was lying on her bed with her eyes closed. I was sure she had no idea I entered because of the earphones she had on.

I immediately dropped my travelling bag in my corner and went back to where Mom parked her car. Yes, it was Mom who brought me to school. Dad had called to inform us he would not be able to make it by Sunday. That very night he called on Friday, Mom had instructed me to pack my things and get ready the next day. Before seven in the morning on Saturday, we've taken our leave down to Lagos, but we stayed at sister Blessing's place that night. Mom was very excited to see her. I saw her too and she seemed to have changed a lot. She changed a little from the Blessing I knew when she was in secondary school. More beautiful, chubby and funny.

As I got close to Mom's car, I saw Victor and Yomi with some girls. I looked away as if I didn't see them. I brought out my school bag and hung it on my shoulder. "Mom you should leave now. Thank you so much." I tiptoed and kissed her two cheeks.

"Don't you want me to greet your house Mistress?"

"It's not necessary Mom. You should get some rest at sister Blessing's place before leaving tomorrow."

She smiled. "Mommy will rest. Make sure you read well and do better this term. That's the only way you can get to be at Mercy's party."

Oh! That was true. How come I forgot completely.

"Mom did you talk to Dad already?" I was eager to hear her reply.

She sent a warm smile at me.
"I trust you. Just read. If you make him proud by performing excellently, you've got no problem with your Dad."

I hugged her with the excitement flooded inside of me. I really wanted to attend Mercy's party and get to see her again. I could not contain my happiness. "We have a deal Mom."

"Deal." She smiled lightly. "Now close your eyes."

You can't ever take that away from my Mom. Her love for God encouraged me every time to know there is a man existing far above the sky. I would always say say, that the influence of  parents in the life of their children is very important. Whenever mom starved herself just to fast and pray to God for her children, family and marriage, I always wanted to do the same and even do better than her. She held onto my hands and began....

"Father lord we bless your name. We give you all the glory, honour, and adoration. We thank you for your protection over us. We thank you for your love, care, provisions and for bringing your daughter back to school.... We have nothing than to say thank you Lord. We bless your name Lord..."   She continued, taking most of the time, while I was also praying for her to just put her prayer to an end.

Like some of my friends at the church, whenever the pastor was taking so much time on the pulpit, you will see them praying. 'Abeg! God, make this pastor commot for pulpit.' That is when they will know that the pastor talks a lot because he took so much time. I was always shaking my head at them because God can't even answer such prayer.

Finally, Mom uttered those words had been waiting to hear. "For in Jesus mighty name we've prayed."

"Amen." I said with a grateful heart. She entered into the car and waved at me. "Mercy's birthday, read!" She said louder for me to hear.