Chapter 11: Night of Tension

Sometimes life is so crappy that writing is the only haven I can manifest. 

I'm serious though. Lately, I've really been hating things and the only thing keeping me sane is Wattpad. Is that sad? Yeah, that's pretty sad.

Disclaimer: Fairy Tail and Nashi belong to Hiro Mashima. Kkumri owns Storm, Rin, and Reiki. I own the remaining OCs and the storyline. I know it's annoying to repeat in every chapter but I really think it's necessary to give credit to whom it belongs.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy!

If there is one thing that Reiki had learned from his years, it was that there is no such thing as silence. Even if we perceive our surroundings to be completely quiet and still, it never is. There is always a sound present. If you were to listen closely enough, you'd identify countless sounds that you didn't know were there before. And once you hear them, you can never unhear them. Once found out, you'll never forget that they're there.

Reiki was leaning against the wall next to the guild doors. His eyes were closed and his arms were crossed. He looked at peace and unbothered, despite the noisy havoc wreaking around him within the building due to the wizards' partying. 

See, the redhead boy had a gift. He was blessed with an exceptional hearing sense. Sure, it wasn't as sharp as that of a dragon slayer's, but for an ordinary human, it was inexplicably good. And over the years, he'd honed his skills and trained himself to rely on the world of sound. And this current moment was the perfect setting to test his abilities.

He identified the sound of spilling, pouring, and gulping beer. Separately.

He could hear lots of laughter and noises of mirth. And he could match each laugh to a person.

A boisterous, deep guffaw. Elfman.

A high-pitched, child-like giggle. Asuka.

A loud, obnoxious, but hearty whoop. Rin. Definitely Rin. 

He heard light, sweet humming and a squeaking sound. Mira humming as she wiped glasses.

Loud chanting and singing by some jolly male voices. Max, Warren, Nab, and Vjeeter. 

Just from listening, Reiki could paint an accurate picture of his surroundings. He didn't even need to open his eyes to look. 

Then there was the sound of the guild doors opening. It was slow, and made little noise. But being right next to them made it hard to miss. Reiki heard soft steps walking inside, the enterer closing the doors behind him or her.

He was about to move on to a new noise, when an alarming sound caught his attention. Sniffling.

He turned his head in the direction of the sound, his eyes snapping open. The sniffling was light, and was followed by a small choke. The crier was trying to hide their tears. He knew exactly who it was.

"Gail?" Reiki asked in concern. 

He heard the girl make a small gasp in surprise. Gail then made an attempt to scurry away, her footsteps speedy and short. But the swordsman was quicker, and managed to grab her arm. He held onto her tightly. "Gail, are you crying?" he asked her gently. The girl didn't turn around to look at him. "No," she choked out. Reiki couldn't see her face, but he could tell that her lips were slightly quivering. 

"Your own voice is betraying you, Gail," Reiki said calmly. The girl lightly cursed under her breath, angry at herself for being so painfully obvious. "I'm fine, Reiki. Really." She was about to walk away, and pry her arm out of his hold. But he jerked on her arm harshly, causing her to be pulled backwards. Reiki turned her around so that they were facing each other. Gail couldn't help but blush, her red cheeks now matching her slightly red eyes. Their faces were centimeters away from each other.