Chapter 24: Deception

This chapter has been due for a long time and it's high time I deliver! So here we go!

So many apologies for the late chapter! Some of you are so patient, and I really want to write a worthwhile chapter for all of you!

Disclaimer: Fairy Tail and Nashi belong to Hiro Mashima. Storm, Rin, and Reiki belong to kkumri. I own Gail, Diana, Layla, Luna, and now Marcus!! And the plot.

Just a heads up. This chapter won't have too much action, mostly dialogue and discussion. But it's tremendously important. I urge you guys to read attentively. ;) Major tea coming up...

Enjoy the chapter!

Failure was not something Erza Scarlet was too familiar with. Guided by her blazing determination, yet clear judgement, the S-Class mage was notorious for her reliability and capability in completing nearly any mission she came across.

It was rare for Erza to fail. However, it's a notable reminder that even the best of us don't always end up victorious. It was mortifying for the redhead to admit to Robert that the mission had failed. However, it wasn't that news that displeased the client so much as when Erza also informed that the family wouldn't be staying any longer to try and complete it.

It was almost unbearable for Erza to hear the lecture of disappointment that Robert gave her at that, but she endured, knowing it was for the best.

Erza had come to an unwelcomed revelation that her children were hiding something huge from her. She didn't plan on resuming her job duties until this matter was settled.

Currently, she was sitting in the train, with her unconscious daughter leaning against her. Erza had her arm around Diana to keep her from falling. Jellal sat across from them, his face hidden with the hood of his cloak.

The heavenly body mage looked at Erza, who was gazing out the window with that stoic expression of hers. He wanted to say something, but to his surprise, Erza beat him to it.

"You were right, Jellal."

Jellal said nothing. Erza turned her head to look at the blue-haired wizard. "I wasn't thinking straight."

Jellal inhaled slightly. "What do you mean?" he asked. Erza sighed, casting a wistful look at Diana. The woman's azure hair was free and messy. Her cheeks were stained with dried tears, and her clothes had blood splatters. Her appearance was concerning out of context.

Diana stirred just slightly. Both Erza and Jellal watched her carefully. She never opened her eyes. Instead, she murmured ever so quietly, "Rosemary..."

Erza narrowed her eyes in confusion. However, she wasn't too hung up on it. 

"I was blinded by the fact that I was their mother..." Erza admitted. "The idea of having children was so foreign, something far from what I imagined for my future. But I felt obligated to be the best mother I could be, that I didn't even stop to think about the deeper story.

"For the last one and half months, I never once considered how they were going to return to their era. I never once considered if they were even trying to do so. I never considered the idea that...that they were lying."

"It isn't your fault, Erza," Jellal told her. "You were just being the good person that you are, trying to take care of them. But I...I didn't even try to-

"You were doing the right thing," Erza said sternly, cutting him off. "I was the one being foolish. I should've been wary from the beginning, but I let my guard completely down."

Erza looked back at Diana. "They have secrets. I'm going to find out what on Earthland just happened back there. How she knew that young thief."

The armored woman's lips formed a tight line.