Chapter 38

A sudden knock on the door caused me to jump and instinctively cuddle closer to Jake.

"It's just the guys," he said, standing up and heading to the door. I cuddled up more under my anxiety blanket.

It was a gift a few years back from my dad to help with my anxiety. It's a weighted blanket that doesn't trap the heat, so it gives the person under it the sense of being cuddled and held without the extra heat. It's been a life saver since Jake and I have gotten together.

"Be careful," Jake said. I could tell he was trying to be quiet, but I heard him anyways. "She's been through a lot today. She's probably going to develop at least mild PTSD. Be normal, but cautious."

"Knock it off and get in here," I yelled for the boys. Jake ran back, jumping onto the couch and instantly pulling me into his lap.

"Hey Allie," Quil and Embry said in unison as they walked into the room.

"Hey guys," I said softly. They took seats on the couch, cuddling together as Jake scrolled through Netflix.

"We have a few DVDs if you wanna watch them. Otherwise it's up to what's on Netflix," Jake said.

"What DVDs are there?" Quil asked.

"Um, there is Dumb and Dumber, The Hangover, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off." I said.

"Um, Dumb and Dumber sounds good to me,"  Embry said. Quil hummed in agreement causing me to smile at them softly. They're so stinking cute together, and it makes my heart so happy.

"What do you wanna watch babe?" Jake asked, kissing my temple gently after he finished the question.

"It doesn't make a difference to me," I said.

"You're not going to watch it, are you?" Jake asked.

"Probably not," I said, cuddling slightly closer to Jake as I grew more tired.

The emotional rollercoaster had drained me of any and all energy. I just wanted to go to sleep, but I knew that was going to be difficult. Even with Jake holding me, I knew that sleep wasn't going to come easy for a while. That didn't change the fact that I wanted to sleep more than anything.

"Did you hear a word I just said?" Jake asked softly.

"Hmm, oh, no, sorry," I said. He looked slightly worried, but it would be okay.

"I said that you look like you need some sleep and if you wanna crash then go for it and I will protect you," he said, hugging me a little tighter.

"Thanks Jake. I don't know what I did to deserve you," I said softly.

"Don't even start. I love you with my whole heart, and you deserve a lot better than this," he said.

"I love you too Jake," I said. "Don't forget to order dinner soon."

"I will babe," he said. "You need to relax and get some sleep."

"'S not gonna happen," I said softly.

"It's going to be hard, but I'm here for you babe," Jake said.

I knew Embry well enough to know he was holding back some seriously good comebacks. I was actually kind of sad that he wasn't saying them. I knew Jake had wanted them to be nice and protect me, but I didn't want to be coddled right now. I wanted to be treated like normal, like everything was going to be okay.