21

Lamar POV

"Can believe its been a whole year since I left."

I was amazed at the changes in my old neighborhood. After that night with Andre, I was moving out the very next day. My cousin thought I was crazy to move so sudden but then again, he really could say much because he did the same thing basically with Richard. My mom was a bit bitter about it, but I knew she was still happy overall that I was leaving with Andre instead of Tyrrell. We ended up moving to New York, Dre landed a job there and I was able to be closer to my fav cousin. I know I have been wrecking his nerves the whole year, but he is like my other best friend beside Hanna. Yea, we became closer after graduating. She one of the reasons I'm back to visit. Haven't seen my girl in a minute.

"You think your mama gonna be surprised to see us?"

"Not only surprised, she gonna make sure we don't leave."

I said cracking a joke about her. I just know she was gonna be excited to see us. I was all smiles all the way to the house. The house was just how I left it. Thinking to myself wow there were so many memories here.

"OH, MY LAMAR IS HERE!!!"

I heard my name shouted out and I saw my mama running down the porch.

"Well, so much for a surprise."

I said to Andre as I got out to greet my overrated parent. She hugged me like its been decades since we seen each other. Squeezing me tight I could feel my lungs were suffocating.

"Oh, my lord, boy its been a whole year why you ain't been to see me."

"Girl, work, and school I'm just now able to do any traveling to see you, but how you knew I was coming?"

Without saying a word, she pointed back up at the house and I saw Hanna walking out trying to look all shy and innocent. My face lit up as I took off up to hug her. Meeting me in the middle of the yard We both embraced each other and started to bounce around like some kids.

"Look at you all grown and stuff, how you been?"

"Girl me you and I been fine just fighting with school and shit. Oh, my I missed you."

I said hugging her once more. I felt like I know Hanna forever. You couldn't pry us apart with a crowbar.

"Bitch look at you all thick and shit, what you been doing?"

"Taking care of my man and he been taking care of me."

Hanna joked as we both laughed. Linking on to my arm we both headed into the house leaving Andre we the luggage. Stepping back into my old home nothing changed. It was exactly how I left it. All the way down to my mom filling the house up with the smell of her cooking.

"Dang mama, you got it smelling good up in here, what you are cooking?"

"Well when Hanna told me Y'all was coming, I wanted to make y'all a little something to eat. It's just some fried chicken, collard greens, mash potatoes, and cornbread."

She said with a smile.

"Yea, that's not a little something to eat."

"Oh boy hush"

She said throwing the towel at me and Hanna for laughing.

"Oh shoot, I forgot to get to get the tea to make the tea."

"Well, I can run down to the store really quick. I can pick up some for you."

Hanna volunteered her services.

"I will go with you, I miss my homegirl we can catch up."

I added in. Agreeing to go to the store, Hanna grabbed her keys and we left out. I was like old times with her. Jamming to the music as we sped down the road. We pulled up to the store fifteen minutes later. The store was still the same too. Walking in we were greeted by the store owner. It was kind of awkward walking around. I was seeing some old faces I use to go to school with.

"So, I know you been lit turning up in New York with your cousin. Meeting all kinds of men."

Hanna said trying to stir up some mess.

"Girl, no...I am A happy married man."

"Oh, please you and Andre are not married."

"So, but I claim him as my husband."

I said joking around as we broke into laughter. Grabbing our few items we headed to the checkout. The line was a bit long because it was the only open. I hate when stores only have one checkout open. Like, hire some more people damn.

"Lamar?!"

I heard my name called. Jerking my head back scanning the area around me I saw Jamie waving from afar. He was with some an and boy whoever he was, he sure was fine.

"Hey Jamie, oh my gosh it's been a minute, how are you?"

I said greeting him as he approached and gave me a hug. Still small like he was middle school. He never really could shake that young look.

"I been good you know just chilling and living, but where the hell have you been?"

"Oh, shit you don't know? I moved to New York with my boyfriend."

"Umm no you haven't, Tyrrell ass still here."

"Boy, anyway me and my man ANDRE we live there now. Its been about a year or so but yea I love it up there."

"Ok, I feel you, new beginnings and new lives we live."

"Exactly, but excuse me where the hell is my manners, who is this Jamie."

I asked stirring from the spotlight. Jamie smile instantly turned into something awful like I asked did he vote for trump.

"Oh, yea this my____."

"Wallace, I'm Jamie's boyfriend nice to meet you."

Reaching out he shook my hand looking back at Jamie. Right there on sight, the vibe had changed. I looked back at Hanna puzzled on what was happening.

"Well nice to meet you, Wallace. So, what yall two getting into?"

"Nothing much, just here shopping my mom cooking up a big dinner, you know how she is."

"Man, yes I do miss her cooking."

I said reminiscing on the days when I was with Tyrrell and I would join them for dinner on the nights I would spend the night.

"Well, if you like you welcome to join us. Everybody going to be there even Tyrrell. I'm sure he would love to see you."

"I'm sure he would...yea I'm going to have to past on that. I'm kind of here to enjoy my best friend Hanna and my Momma but thank you still."

I said turning down Jamie invite to dinner. I know he was just being messy, and I didn't have time for that. Its been a whole year and I could tell that some people still haven't changed any.

"Oh well ok but look let me finish shopping and I will catch up with you later, as a fact give me your number and I will call you."

Jamie spoked. Agreeing to it I took his phone and entered my number into it. Calling my phone from his I saved his as well. Saying goodbye Hanna and I checked out and left out of the store. It was nice to see Jamie, but I was still a bit bothered by him and his boyfriend attention towards each other. Thinking maybe I was just over thinking I shook my thoughts and continued to enjoy my time with my Hanna.