Emi's "First" Job

It had been about a month since Emi had gotten sick, and she had mostly recovered. She was able to go up and down the stairs by herself, so she wandered through the house to explore more. She heard Laxus sigh from the kitchen and made her way over to him to see that he was glaring at the open fridge.

"I have to go on a job. We have no food and no money."

"Alight! I can't wait to see where we go--"

"You're not coming. You're still weak."

"No, I'm not. I've been able to move around and stay awake."

"You're staying here. Once you're cleared by the doctor, you might be able to come."

"Well then let's get to the doctor!" Emi shouted happily.

"We have no money," Laxus reminded.

Emi sighed before stalking back up the stairs. She heard Laxus leave for town. She started to laugh mischievously. Once she heard the front door close she took her pillow and padded down the hallway. Laxus's bedroom door creaked open as she slipped inside. She walked over to the window to make sure Laxus had left when she was met with his glare from outside the house.

"Get out of my room," Laxus scolded from the window.

Emi smiled at him before waving him off and happily jumping on the bed and falling asleep.

--------------------------------------------------

"So what kind of job did you get?"

"It's just a Vulcan job for Mount Hakobe. Should be easy enough. It doesn't pay much though."

Emi nodded before turning to go into the kitchen. She was making soup for dinner.

"I picked up a job for you too."

Emi turned around confused and tilted her head before pointing to herself, "Me?"

Laxus handed her a flyer that had a reward posted on it.

"It's a sorting job at the bookstore. You'd be paid like a regular request. I figured you could get out of the house and help--"

"Thank you! This is great! I can't believe I can actually go on a job. This is going to be so exciting. And it's a bookshop! How cool is--"

"Hey, quit it."

She turned to Laxus and happily hugged him. He tensed.

"Knock it off, brat."

She bolted towards the door and grabbed her shoes and cloak. Laxus laughed quietly at her spontaneous energy before looking back over to the stove.

"You're forgetting the soup."

"Oh!" Emi yelled as she stood over the pot again. "I guess I just got overexcited."

----------------------------------------------------

"Okay," Emi spoke to herself as she looked at the countless piles of books that stood in front of her. "How should I organize?"

She eventually settled on organizing the authors alphabetically. After going through the piles, Emi decided to start putting them in different piles for each letter. It took about three hours to do that, and Emi was exhausted. She took a small break, opening up a book on earth magic and scanning the pages.

"Wow, earth magic sounds so cool. I wish I could do that."

She continued to flip through the pages when a spell caught her eye.