4. Keya

It’s Monday, and I am drained as hell. Every single step I take from my bed down to the bathroom makes me feel queasy all the time.

It’s been like this for a while now and I bloody hated it!

There’s no time for me to get sick for heaven’s sake. I have a lot of things to do, especially now that I am about to be a full-time English instructor once the semester starts plus my dissertation needs my full attention too.

I’m finishing my proposal fast just so I can get an approval right away, I know that being a full-time instructor means meeting a lot of deadlines, so since I still got a plenty of free time I already started writing it ahead.

I took a deep breath again closing my eyes to stop the light dizziness on my head, Christ! I should never get sick. Think this is what I get for pushing myself too hard these past few months and now I’m paying for it.
Just as I was about to enter the bathroom, my phone rings and it’s me mum calling.

“Hey mum!” I greeted still closing my eyes because every time I try to open it, my world feels like I’m on a whirlpool and makes me want to vomit. “Why are you still up? It’s literally one a.m. in there.”

“Oh Mrs. Kingsley, our neighbour. D’you remember her?” My mum started explaining while I try to prepare clothes I will wear on the faculty meeting later. “She invited us for dinner at her house and she happens to throw a massive party.”

“Mum, are you drunk?” I curiously asked because she’s kind of a bit slow enough to talk over the phone.

“No. Just had a little bit of a wine.” She reasoned out. “How are you by the way my love?”

“Feeling a little bit under the weather today, but I’m good.” I said completely lying about it because I feel like I’m going to die in any second for controlling myself from throwing up. “How about you? How have you been treated by my little brother and sister?”

“Oh they’re alright.” She replied. “Kelsey is helping me out in the bakery and your brother Kam worked at a construction to earn money.”
“Construction? Is that a joke?” I said in complete shock which was totally a bad reaction because I literally just gagged making me to rush to the toilet and cough hard.

“Are you okay?” My mum asked.

“Yes.” I replied resting my back at the toilet not wanting to stand up. “Are you serious about Kam working at a construction? He doesn’t even want to lift a single plate in the house.”

“Oh trust me Keya, your younger brother only worked in the construction to work on his body instead of going to the gym and to save up some money for school.” She answered which made me roll my eyes because I should see that one coming, my brother is kind of narcissist at times. But I am glad he’s working over the summer though for his education.

“Anyway, I miss you so much Keya. Come home when you finally got a time.”

“I will mum, soon. I can’t promise that I will be home right away, but soon alright?” I said covering my mouth again.

“Alright, call me anytime. You rest.”

“Of course mum. I love you. I’ve got to go. Bye!” I abruptly said and ended the call right away because I already vomited all the food I have eaten last night.

Oh God! I feel so awful.

I heave until there’s nothing but water and my own saliva. Slowly I dragged myself up flashing the toilet and washed my mouth on the sink. Luckily, after I showered I already felt alright. When I went out and started to rummage on my closet for some clothes, someone knocked on my door.