Chapter 9

Just a short little chapter. Hope you like it! :)

*~*~*

*ZACH*

As I was driving returned home I recalled the evening. I spoke to Tom for quite a bit of the night. He was a nice guy. I was glad that I had someone I could talk to considering I didn't know anyone there. I later saw Natalie and remembered hearing from some of our high school friends that she was working as a barrister for the DPP which made sense seeing her tonight.

I approached her and we talked. At first the conversation was awkward but she then seemed to lighten up a bit which showed through her jokes. When she laughed it was amazing. She lit up the whole room with her gorgeous smile and cute little dimple. Her eyes just shone.

We then made our way to the dancefloor. It was deja vu all over again. Then I was stupid enough to bring up high school and she just ran off and I didn't see her for the rest of the evening. Fuck I was stupid! I hadn't seen this girl for that long(with a few exceptions) and I was letting her know how I felt! I was beginning to sound like a real girl. WTF! Why did she have that much of an effect on me?

***

*NATALIE*

I woke up the Monday following the fundraiser recalling the events of the weekend. Zach had come. Dani was right about seeing him again, I was never going to hear the end of it from her. But what was I supposed to do now? After our little dance Zach tried to apologise but I didn't let him. I didn't want to, I didn't need to hear him say that we should just forget about it. After I bailed I avoided him for the rest of the night. I was too shaken to know what I should do.

***

As soon as I arrived in my office I was greeted by Tom.

"Good morning Nat the fundraiser went quite well don't you think? We managed to beat our target."

"Yes it did and the place looked beautiful. It's so good that we managed to raise all the money." As I said this Tom went to close my office door and returned to sit on the chair placed on the other side of my desk, his hands stretched in front of him.

"Natalie may I be frank with you, as a friend?"

"It depends"

"I couldn't help but notice you talking to Zachary Peterson at the fundraiser. Now I remember you said you didn't want to get involved in the Hannah case because of him and after your encounter with him on the night you practically avoided him for the rest of the night. I don't expect you to say anything but is something going on that I should know about?"

"No. Zachary and I went to high school together. We used to be friends and then we weren't. I was caught off guard that day with the Hannah case and at the fundraiser I was surprised by his conversation. I noticed that you two were getting along well. Why do you ask?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were ok that's all." Tom smiled as he got up to leave my office.

***

I was trying to go through my case notes organising a strong opening for one of my cases in the coming days but it was no good. I was still thinking about stupid Zachary Peterson. Why did he have to complement me and try to bring up the past? I was trying (trying to no avail, but trying none the less) to get over him. I finally thought I did but just when that happened he seemed to coming running back into my life. It was like the universe was taunting me. Urgh.

***

*Ring Ring* I went to open the door after a long, counterproductive day at work to see Dani. 'Yay' I thought silently to myself now I get to talk to Dani.

I hadn't seen her since Friday night when the fundraiser was on so I could only guess what she was here for...