Chapter 11

The week passed quickly. I finally managed to complete my opening on last night for the following day. It was a reckless driving causing death case. The defendant had gone through three sets of red lights, had done a number of burnouts and crated a four car pile up killing three people instantly.

"Your Honour, the defendant, Mike Palmer was intoxicated at the time of the incident having a blood alcohol reading of 0.05%. The incident occurred after three o'clock when many parents were coming to collect their children from school. It is clear that Mike had no regard for the safety of himself, let alone other drivers. He was not wearing a seatbelt, had enacted a number of burnouts, whilst driving at speeds exceeding 200km per hour. Three individuals were killed instantly on the impact. The Prosecution's can and will prove beyond a reasonable doubt of reckless driving causing death and it is our proposition that Mr Palmer should be found guilty of the charges laid against him."

***

I returned home later that night relieved. Mike had be found guilty and had his license cancelled for a minimum of three years, was subject to a seven years imprisonment as it was his first offence but if he was found to commit the same offence again his license would be cancelled for life. I had my RDO tomorrow as well as our sleepover at Bec's apartment. The past week had been exhausting to say the least and I deserved a break so decided that I would go shopping and get a long needed haircut. I was glad we were all meeting considering last week was meant to be Charlie's week except she had to work and Dani and I had the fundraiser.

***

I returned home from my shopping trip with a number of bags. I was quite pleased with my bargains. I had also managed to get myself a dress for my birthday on Saturday for which I had organised to go out to my favourite club, Kilig with the girls.

I quickly had a shower and made my way to Bec's apartment which was two blocks away from my place. We all managed to arrive at the same time and Bec ordered our usual as soon as we arrived. Dance Dance was the game of choice for tonight and Charlie and Bec were in the middle of a very heated battle. It was extruiating to watch. Just as we were watching Bec and Charlie the doorbell rang.

"Can someone get that? I'm not letting Charlie win!" Bec exclaimed whilst staying focussed on her game. Ash and Dani remained enthralled in the game. Guess that means that I'm getting it...

"The money is on the table Nat." Bec explained as I got up towards the front door.

I opened the door and was slightly relieved, whilst at the same time disappointed. I knew there were a number of people working at Valentino's Pizza so I don't know why I expected to see Zach there. I gave the money to the random delivery guy and made my way back inside. Just as I did so the game had ended.

"In your face Charlie!" Bec joked

"Pizza's ready" I explained as I entered the lounge with everyone staring at me. We all made our way to the table and ate whilst talking about our weeks. I was a bit quiet as everyone talked and Dani stared at me as if she was trying to solve a tough ionic equation.

Dani explained to us but the crime scene that she had to gather evidence from earlier in the week, Charlie told us about the baby boy who she had given birth to earlier that morning as the doctor was extremely busy with another patient, Bec had just made a new routine for her child dance class and Ash's beauty salon that she had just opened was running well.

"So I bet you're excited about tomorrow, hey Nat?" Ash asked.

"Meh, I guess. I'm excited about tomorrow night, I bought a new dress today actually and you aren't seeing it until tomorrow. Becoming older, not so much. Soon enough I'll be old and grey and will have to invest in those 27 cats" I joked.

We all cracked into a fit of laugher. After dinner Dani and I were washing up whilst Charlie and Bec cleared up the lounge so that we could watch the movies and Ash went to sort out all the beauty stuff.

"What's up? You were quiet after you got the pizzas, was Zach there?" Dani quietly asked.

"No he wasn't." I replied.

"So you're upset now? I don't understand I thought you were happy about never seeing him again?"

" I did as well. I didn't know if he would be at the door or not but there was the possibility that he could and I was a bit relieved but upset at the same time."

"Who was at the door?" Ash asked

"Oh Nat was just telling me about work" Dani replied

"Oh okay" said Ash as we all headed to the lounge for our pampering sessions and movie watching.

*~*~*

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Comment your thoughts and vote if you liked. Next chapter will be Nat's birthday.