Chapter 20

As we walk up the steps to the hotel the ball is being held at Zach has his arm wrapped around my waist.

"Wait !" I say before we make our way inside.

"What's wrong?"

"What's our story? People will be asking.."

"The truth."

"Which is?"

"That we used to go to high school together. We caught up at your work function, started to hang out and now we're getting to know each other again."

"Okay. What about how we're meant to act towards each other? This is a school function after all."

"We act exactly like we want to. No prohibitions. You're finally mine and I don't plan on letting you go anytime soon." Zach replies as he lightly pecks my cheek and tightens his arm around my waist.

***

Zach and I sit with his fellow colleagues and their partners. At first I am intimidated but as we start to talk I began to feel at ease.

It's funny being at the Star again considering this was where we had our ball. Looks like Northstar still keeps to its traditions.

"So Miss Murray, am I going to have the pleasure of dancing with you tonight?" Zach asks after we finish our meals.

"Well I don't know Mr Peterson. Don't you have a job to do?"

"That I do but I think I'm due for my break." Zach replies as he takes me to the dancefloor.

Zach and I dance for a while. In the end I loose track of how many songs have played of course there's the old, old school faves as well as some of the newer ones we've grown up with. I even manage to get everyone involved in a 'Never On A Sunday' and by then I'm exhausted.

"I think I need a drink." I remark,exhausted from all the dancing.

"Not yet you do." he says as the music changes to a slow song.        

I let out a chuckle and reluctantly agree, not that I needed much persuasion anyway.

"You're really something Natalie. Getting all the kids involved."

"Well I guess having the 'cool teacher' to help you out doesn't go astray."

"I am pretty cool aren't I?"

"Wouldn't want you to get a big head."

"I mean it you know. You really are something Natalie Murray. I'm glad that you came and that we are trying this out."

"Me too." I sheepishly grin as Zach puts a stray hair behind my ear. Gosh I wanted to kiss him but not here. Zach didn't need his students going around talking about his love interest.

"I think I'm gonna get that drink now."

"I'll go get one for you."

"Its alright. I can get one. Besides, I think you need to do your job or at least try to." I whisper cheekily into his ear, holding tightly onto his collar before walking away.

***

*ZACH*

Damn. That Natalie Murray was fierce tonight! If I didn't have to be somewhat professional I wouldn't leave her side.

I was going around doing my rounds. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I made my way back to the table.

On my way back I felt someone cover my eyes with their hands and knew it had to be Natalie. They turned me around and they started kissing me with fierce determination. I opened my eyes, surprised by Natalie's openness only to find it wasn't her.

***

*NATALIE*

I would have been gone for a two minutes at most if I was lucky only to find Zach locking lips with someone else. I could not believe it. I couldn't move, so badly trying to conceal the desire to cry. And to think that I thought he meant it when he said I was his..

The girl he was with broke away and was looking straight in my direction. Not a second later Zach had done the same, a look of regret prominently on his face. Whether he regretted kissing her or getting caught I really didn't care, but if it was the latter he could have done a better job.

He started towards me and I just walked away not really caring what he had to say. I felt played and it hurt.

*~*~*

Chapter 20! Gah! I've been sitting on this forever and I thought it was about time. Hope you all don't hate me too much. VCF! :D