Chapter 8

I know it's been forever since the last update but I didn't know where I wanted to go with this.

For those of you who are still reading here's Chapter 8!

*~*~*~*

*NATALIE*

"C'Mon Dani we're gonna be late!" I yelled from the lounge. Dani was still getting ready.

"Okay I'm ready!"

Finally it had only taken her over two and a half hours!!!

"Good it took you long enough!"

"Calm down Nat we're fine with the time." she said to me as she entered the lounge room.

She was wearing a red empire dress which had a strap around the neck. She looked gorgeous as always and I was sure that she would be turning heads.

I inspected myself one last time in the hallway mirror. I was wearing a light blue dress which had a open back and sequins. At first I was a bit nervous but Dani assured me that it was fine.

"Well do you want to go or not missy?" Dani asked. "You look lovely, now let's go!"

 I couldn't help but laugh. Now she was bossing me around? She was the one who was taking forever!

***

Dani and I were the DPP's annual work fundraiser which consisted of all of our office staff, a selection of our clients and our expert witnesses as well as a number of generous benefactors.

"They've really gone all out this year haven't they" Dani asked admiring the ballroom.

Music was playing, the tables had been cleared from dinner and it was time to party.

"They sure have. Come on lets get some drinks." I replied heading towards the drink tables.

"A champagne for me and my lovely friend here please." I said to the bartender. Usually I wasn't a big drinker but I made exceptions for special occasions.

"Hey isn't that Zach over there at Tom's table?" Dani asked.

Surely enough when I turned around my eyes met with a very excited Tom talking to Zach. Omg. Why is he here? Oh shit, the Hannah case.

"Yep." I responded poping my p.

"Well don't look now but I think he's heading our way." Dani commented just after I turned around to face her.

Now what am I going to do?! Our drinks were ready and I practically inhaled mine just before Zach approached us. Well looks like no running away now then.

"Good evening Natalie. - Dani." Zach said and I turned away from the drink table.

"Hello Zach." I replied as I looked at him. His brown hair was tousled nicely and he was wearing a suit with a black bow tie. He looked good.

"Well now I would love to chat but I believe Tom is calling for me." said Dani. What a bitch! I was gonna have to kill her later.

"So Nat how are you?"

"I'm good thanks Zach, you. What brings you here tonight?"

"I appeared as a witness for the Hannah case."

"Oh. So you're a sports teacher, a pizza delivery guy and a key witness to a robbery huh?"

"Yea I guess you could say I am. Hey let me grab you a drink whilst you sit down k?"

"Um k." Well I might as well it didn't look like I was getting my way out of this one. Zach could be quite persistent when he wanted to be. Besides maybe we could make amends or at the very least I could gain some closure.

Zach headed back with our drinks.

"Thanks. Its nice the ballroom hey."

"Yea it is. So what's new in the world of Natalie Murray?"

"Nothing much really imprisoning the occasional criminal, you know the normal stuff. What about you. What's new in the world of Zachary Peterson?"

"Well I think you pretty much know it all already- school and pizzas."

"Don't forget the occasional witness" I joked as Bleeding Love started playing.

"Very funny." he winked at me. Gosh winking, seriously! He always seemed to have an effect on me when he did that it wasn't fair! 

"May I have this dance?" he asked.

Why not I thought to myself. It would be better than trying to make awkward conversation so I accepted his offer.

"Well of course my dear sir" I joked as we made our way to the dance floor.

Zach placed his hand on the small of my back and grabbed the other in his own and we began to dance. I was beginning to regret wearing an open back dress. How was it possible that he could resurface all my feelings through one single touch. Ergh! Maybe awkward conversation would have been better after all.

Although I hated to admit it, it was nice dancing with Zach. It was nice to be in his arms again. It felt like our formal all over again except this time he was way more coordinated. No more two left feet anymore! I thought as he pulled me into a dip, laughing as he did so. As he brought me back up he stared into my eyes and I stared into his golden orbs too.

"I don't think I told you this earlier but you look beautiful tonight." I blushed as he whispered in my ear and the song changed but we didn't move but instead kept on dancing.

"Hey Nat -"

"Hmm?" I replied my head resting on his shoulder. I didn't want to talk right now but instead savour the moment.

"I have something I need to tell you. Before you interrupt I want to apologise for what happened after high school with us. I'm sorry. I felt so bad but I didn't know what to do about it. The truth is -"

Oh damn. How could I respond to that? I just wanted to run away. After all this time he told me this now. Seriously. Why? Was he trying to screw with my head? He had plenty of opportunities back then but now, years later he had to bring it up. I didn't know what to do so I did the thing I always did, I bailed.

*ZACH*

"- I haven't stopped thinking about you since then and seeing you at your place when you had the sleepover just made it worse. I miss you and I hate how I messed up..." I continued but by then she was gone as Tom called her. Just my luck.

*~*~*~*

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Remember vote, comment and follow.

P.s the video of Bleeding Love is on the side for you guys. :)