Chapter 25| Forest Patrol

Y/N's POV

Trees rattled in the wind. Sunlight shined through their leaves turning them a lighter green. Tall grass tickled the ends of your tail. It felt good to get fresh air after being cooped up in the mansion.

Masky was perched against a tree. He brought you here.

Forest patrolling. You felt a little uneasy by his pretense. Him hitting you for no apparent reason had made you unsure how to feel around him.

He had shifted his mask to the side to smoke. You could see his brown eyes and cheekbones. Shadows cast over his face and a cloud came billowing out his nose. He tapped some ash onto the grass, looking upward.

A small radio device clipped to his jean let a blaring sound. There was static on the other end before a voice erupted from the speaker.

"Masky.Masky.Masky.Masky.Masky.Masky.Masky.Masky.Masky.MAsky.Masky.Masky.Masky.MaskyMasky.Masky.Masky.MaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMaskyMasky-"

You recognized it. Toby? He didn't stammer once. Masky cussed under his breath, pushed himself off the tree, and jammed a button on the walkie talkie, speaking into it.

"What."

"T-that annoys you d-doesn't it?"

"Yes. Now tell me what the hell do you want?

"I- would like to know how the m-ermaid is doing."

Masky's face instantly darkened and you could see his every muscle in his face tighten.

"These walkie talkies. Are. For Important. Transmissions," he muttered in a terribly pissed voice. There was a moment before another reply came.

"T-the me-mermaid is impo-ortant. I-If a-an-anything ha-ppened to her, S-slender man would k-kill you. And t-then I'd bring y-you back to l-life and I'd kill yo-u again."

Masky licked his upper lip.

"Oh yeah?"

"Y-yeah."

"She's isn't dead."

"I-I want to hear that from h-her."

Masky stared down at the device. He pressed the reply button for a long time, thinking whether to say no or yes, before letting it go.

He threw the walkie talkie to you. You nearly dropped it. He was letting you use it?

Inspecting the several buttons you pressed the one that stood out the most once.

"H...hello?"

"Hold it down," said Masky, "And then speak into it."

You did what he said.

When you let the button go it let out a beep, startling you. Did that mean the message was delivered?

"H-hey!"

Toby replied. His voice bounced off the speakers. It worked!

"Toby," you said.

"Li-ttle m-mermaid. H-ho-ow are you?"

"F..fine."

"H-how does it f-eel to b-e in the forest?"