Chapter 4| The Calling

Hoodie's POV

It was some part time job. The cafe wasn't crowded.

Brian Thomas carried a heavy tray. He was required to wear an apron and roller skates.

But hoodie was in his name. He managed to put the sweater under his uniform. It was hot but worth it. Besides there was air conditioning.

He tried not to fall on his ass as he headed over to table 23. The squeaking noise of his skates were earsplitting. He clenched his jaw. Someone soared by, sending his head spinning.

Another waiter with a tray full of milkshakes glided to the other side of the room. His name-tag 'Toby' shined in the light. Brian scoffed.

This twitchy shit wore his own apron. The cut on his upper lip was covered by a face mask (stay safe from the CO-VID). He circled back and his head went into a instant spasm. He quickly skidded into the back room, leaving marks on the floor. "Tsk," Brian muttered. It would take hard scrubbing to get that off.

Dammit, Ticci. He thought.

Serve table 23.

Two people were seated by it. One was a man, who looked in his mid-20's. He had brown light hair and blue eyes. Freckles covered his nose. The other was a lady in a police uniform. Black curls escaped her cap. They were talking over some files.

"Mr....Dixon and Ms. Tess?" Brian checked his receipt. They had ordered two cups of coffee. He placed it in front of them, "Here." "Thank you," said the man.

Brian begin to turn away.

"So his name is...Eyeless Jack?"

He went stiff. Did he hear that right? That had come from the same man, Mr. Dixon. Brian gave a side glance. The female officer was looking directly at him.

He held the gaze before turning away. His fists clenched.

They're dead.

___________________________________________

Jeff's POV

Water hit the boat causing a massive splash. Jeff came back to reality.

His pale arms caught and secured the mermaid's waist. She was now between his legs with her back against his chest. Her hair smelled good, like pond lilies and those scales were softer than skin.

The deck slanted. He caught his feet just in time. The girl tightly clung to him. She buried her face into his torso. Jeff raised a brow.

1 9 0   m i l e s    p e r h o u r . . . 1 9 1  m i l e s  p e r   h o u r . . .

Ben seemed in a faze. He was on his knees. No cheeky grin or smirk, he had an expression that was blank and emotionless. The engine glowed red and matched his crimson eyes. Electricity shot through the gears.

2 0 1   m i l e s   p e r    h o u r . . .   2 0 2  m i l e s   p e r  h o u r . . .

He was using all his power to keep the boat at work. The shore was thirty yards away. Jeff could hear the girl whimpering. Her body trembled against him. A grin spread on his face, revealing his amusement.

2 2 2   m i l e s   p e r   h o u r . . . 2 2 3  m i l e s   p e r  h o u r . . .

Ben coughed and black spit dribbled down his chin. The engine was faltering. Jeff glanced back at the whirlpool. It expanded across the waters and was not too far from their boat.

"Oh shit-"

THUD.

______________________________________________________

Owen's POV

Owen stared out the cafe window.

The sun was setting. He thought about the conversation. Eyeless Jack. He didn't seem human from all the stories. His foot tapped on the floor. Meanwhile Edna gathered all her files from their table.

She placed them into a briefcase and slung a black jacket over her uniform. Owen reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He left a tip on their table and followed her out the door. He took in the salty air. The wind messed with his bangs. He began to smile but it faltered.

"That waiter seemed off," he said as he squinted at the lowering sun.

The woman nodded, "We should get-" Her phone vibrated, "Hold on." She pulled it out and put it on speaker, "Hello?"

"You're dead."

____________________________________________