Chapter 3

2 Years Later

January 5th 2016

Arpana woke up hearing the sound of her alarm indicating that it was time for her to wake up.

But Arpana didn't want to wake up now. She wanted to curl up and go back to sleep as it's her only escape from reality.

Arpana yawned as her feet touched the cold floor. After stretching a little, Arpana went to the washroom to do her morning chores.

Over the past 2 years, she had been following a particular routine which mainly consisted of work and sleep. Arpana tries to avoid her parents as much as possible. At the moment the only thing they talk about is marriage.
Arpana hates the word marriage with a passion. How can she marry some stranger when she's still in love with Vihan? He might not be in this world anymore but in her heart, Vihan is still alive.

Everyone's telling Arpana to forget Vihan and move on but how can she? She has devoted her whole life to his name. A second marriage is not even practical. However, her parents are threatening her using Devi's name. They are telling her that if she doesn't marry again, then no good proposals will come for Devi. Arpana finds her parents logic stupid. Why would anyone dig the girl's sister’s past or worry about why the bride’s sister is not married? Arpana felt as if her head was going to burst in the shower. She tries to avoid these topics but all she could think of now in the shower is this.

Finally, Arpana came out of the shower pushing all her thoughts aside and got dressed into her formal Saree and tired her hair into a low bun. Arpana felt as if something was missing and like usual it was her vermillion. It has been two years since she has filled her hair partition. According to her customs and traditions, women are not allowed to wear the nuptial chain around their neck or fill their partition with vermillion after the husband's death. Arpana picked up her vermillion, but in disappointment, she placed it back on the dressing table and picked up her bag to leave before her family woke up.

Arpana is currently working as a banker in one of the private banks near her home. However, as Arpana was leaving, her eyes caught the attention of the wedding picture of Vihan and hers. Arpana picked up the photo and gently stroked it "hope you’re happy wherever you are now" Arpana muttered and placed the photo down where it was and left as usual without having any breakfast.

"Good morning Arpana" Sakshi (Vihan's sister) greeted Arpana as she sat in her place. Sakshi works alongside Arpana in the bank as well.

"Good morning Sakshi. How are you today?" Arpana asked Sakshi.

"Actually Arpana, I've got some news to tell you," Sakshi informed her sister-in-law.

"What is it Sakshi?" Arpana asked Sakshi curiously.

"My marriage is fixed" Sakshi told her

"Hey, that's great!! Congratulations Sakshi!! I am so happy for you. If your brother Vihan was here today, he would've been extremely happy for you dear." Arpana said, feeling very excited.

"But Arpana, I don't know if I'm happy with this marriage. I don't even know the person well. So far I know it is his second marriage and his name is Arjun and that he is working as a pilot for Air India. I haven't even met him once in Arpana. I tried telling my parents that I am not happy to proceed with this marriage but Mom and Dad are not listening to me. I don't know what to do." Sakshi complained to Arpana.