Chapter 40

After that incident in Bhanumathi's consultation room, Arpana got out of the consultation room tearfully, followed by Arjun. Arpana was leaning on a wall and was staring at the ground. Arjun could see very clearly Arpana's heart breaking. This was something Arjun never wished to see, he hated seeing Arpana like this.

'When will there be an end to all this pain?' Arjun mentally thought.

Arjun gently placed his warm palms on her shoulders and successfully managed to get Arpana's attention. "We have gone through much worse things than this, during those times we had three options. To either let it define us, let it destroy us or to let it strengthen us. Instead of choosing the first two options we chose the third one. Like we did back then, I want you to choose the last option. Do not let it destroy you. You lived approximately 28 years without knowing you had a mother like this. Even if this lady does not want to be a part of your life, you have two mothers (Radhika and Lalitha) who want to be a part of your life. Who loves you and protects you. More or less they are standing in your mother's place. Be grateful for that" Arjun's words managed to calm the storm in Arpana's mind to a certain extent.

"It did hurt me Arjun, when she rejected me but I will not let it affect me. My life and experiences have molded me into a strong person, to be a person with a lot of layers. I had once read somewhere that family is not always blood, it's the people who stay with you during your tough times, and love and protect you regardless of who you are. One example is what Radhika aunty did" Arpana said. Arjun was proud of the girl who was standing in front of him. She was no longer the weak girl she once was. Life and the obstacles that were thrown at her made her much more resilient which is helping her to bounce back from life's challenges and unforeseen difficulties. Arjun gently kissed Arpana on her forehead with a small smile. Then gestured to her to leave.

Arjun and Arpana were stopped by a familiar female's voice. When Arpana turned around, she saw Sakshi (Vihan's sister). Arpana was seeing Sakshi after a year now. Arpana did not have a clue that she was married to Nikhil either.

After Sakshi Nikhil too followed her.

Arpana's eyes widened seeing Nikhil and Sakshi, seeing them has definitely made Arpana uncomfortable and awkward clearly because of Vihan and his deeds. Not just that but the fact that when Sakshi eloped Arpana had to step in as the bride etc. Arjun obviously knew Sakshi, as she was supposed to marry him. But fate had different plans.

Before, Arpana could process anything Sakshi hugged Arpana who is still her sister in law but under different circumstances. "Sorry Arpana," Sakshi muttered. After a few seconds Arpana slowly released from the hug "Sakshi? How come you are here? Here for any consultation?" Arpana asked curiously.

"No, actually this is Nikhil's house," Sakshi replied. Arpana blinked in surprise.

"Yes this is my house. I came to Bangalore as I was given the charge of Anjali's case. I'm still based in Bangalore, I came here as I had a few days off" Nikhil said.

"Are you Bhanu?" Before Arpana could complete her sentence Nikhil said "yes I am Bhanumathi and Suresh's son Nikhil. To be more precise your half brother" Nikhil said. Arpana knitted her eyebrows after hearing the new revelation. Unknowingly her eyes watered.

Her brother was here all this time but Arpana did not know.

"I was there when Lalitha aunty explained about your whereabouts, you might remember it. After that I did my little investigation and came to the conclusion that you're my sister." There wasn't much for Arpana to say at this point. Arpana just looked to the ground trying to hide her tears. "No mother can hate their children Arpana. I'm damn sure she loves her daughter deep inside her heart but she does not want to admit it, maybe because she fears that the society will judge her or she might be nervous that your father will return after everyone knows about it. Also, my father does not know anything about this. She might fear that her life will get torn apart once he knows about it. I don't know Arpana but I can assure you that I will be with you no matter what life throws at you, as your brother." Arpana nodded, hearing Nikhil's words. At least she got a brother.