Chapter 11

Author’s POV.......

It has nearly been a month since Arjun has returned to work. For Arpana life was going normally. Nothing interesting, just work and home. Arjun's family often invites her over for meals and even requests her to stay with them at least until Arjun returns but Arpana politely declines their request often. After that incident Arpana has not visited her own house. In a way she is thankful to Arjun for making her understand the true colours of her father. However, every now and then Arpana meets her sister Devi in restaurants and cafes. For Arpana, Devi is more like her best friends. In front of her little sister, Arpana's emotions and feelings are all like an open book. Maybe it is because Arpana doesn't have many friends. 

It is Diwali today and ever since Vihan's death, Arpana has not celebrated Diwali, so just like previous years Arpana has decided not to do much as it is only her. However, Arpana's mother and Vihan's mother Damini surprisingly invited her to celebrate Diwali with them. It was an instant no to her parents and Damini. Mainly because of how she can't imagine herself enjoying or taking part in a celebration without Vihan and she can't be the same with her parents after the recent incident or Damini (Vihan’s mother), the person who has tortured her the most after Vihan's death. Nevertheless, when Arjun's mother rang her, Arpana couldn't decline it. Somehow in Arjun's mother, Arpana saw a motherly feeling that she did not get from her own mother from the time she married Vihan. Therefore, Arpana went to Arjun's house yesterday to celebrate Diwali with them after so many years.

Arpana woke up at 5:30 AM precisely. After brushing her teeth, Arpana rushed to the first floor to help Revathy, Ravinath and Deepak to help them clean the house. The house was very big compared to the house Arjun was living right now. Deepak told Arpana that Anjali and Arjun used to live with Revathy and Ravinath. She wondered why Arjun moved but then she thought how hard it must be for him to stay here as this house might be filled with Anjali's memories. After they were done with cleaning, she rushed back upstairs to get ready. Arpana entered her room, took her clothes for today and went to the bathroom to shower. After showering, Arpana stepped out wearing her underskirt and blouse. She then picked her saree and wore it. Arpana then dried her wet hair and neatly plaited it into a braid and wore some jasmine flowers. After wearing some jewellery, Arpana looked at her reflection on the mirror. She was feeling enthusiastic and happy today to celebrate Diwali. Somewhere she felt very guilty for being happy and getting dressed like this. Watching herself getting dressed like this was killing her. Vihan's memories were flashing in her mind whenever she was getting little happiness making her feel low...

After filling her hair partition with vermillion Arpana glanced once again at the mirror quickly wiping away the tear. Chucking away all her thoughts, Arpana checked the time on her phone. It showed 7:20Am. Arpana and Deepak started lighting the house with Diyas (Small earthen lamps). Deepak was a fun person to be around with. He always managed to brighten up Arpana’s mood.
"Actually vadina, we haven't celebrated Diwali like this in ages" Deepak said "Same here Deepak. After my late husband’s death, I haven't celebrated Diwali properly. Just used to do Lakshmi Puja" Arpana replied. "It was due to Anjali's death here. I can't remember Arjun actually being with us for Diwali after that. He is always at work" just as Deepak had completed his sentence he got a call.
"No, no!!! It has been so many years after you have celebrated Diwali with us. You have to come here today!! No excuses" Deepak said, Arpana knitted her eyebrows in confusion listening to Deepak's conversation "actually wait there. Don't go anywhere I will come and pick you up and then you can change here" Deepak said and rushed somewhere after telling Arpana he'll be back in a bit.

After a few minutes, when Arpana was drawing rangoli using some flower petals, Arpana noticed a car entering. Arpana stood up and watched the car enter inside. When she looked closely, it was Deepak and Arjun. Seeing Arjun was indeed a surprise for Arpana. She didn't know why but some kind of unknown happiness filled her heart. She wanted to jump with happiness but controlled her emotions. Arpana struggled to understand why she was feeling this way but immediately her happiness faded due to guilt....

"Look who's here Vadina. He was planning to go home. It took a lot of convincing to bring him here" Deepak said to which Arpana smiled vaguely. "I didn't know you were coming today Arjun. Anyways, Happy Diwali!" Arpana said to Arjun. "Happy Diwali" Arjun replied. "He is like this Vadina. He always returns back from work without informing anyone" Deepak said. Just then Revathy and Ravinath rushed to meet their son but Arjun just acted cold with them, especially his mother. Arpana found this very strange. After that, Deepak took him inside and gave him some traditional clothes to change into. After what felt like ages, Arjun came back in traditional attire. Arpana smiled seeing him. He also didn't fail to notice Arpana. She was draped in a very heavy saree and she looked very different to how she normally dresses but for Arjun she was nothing compared to Anjali. He still remembers how he used to have butterflies when he was in Anjali's presence. Anjali wore a saree for the time during their wedding, it felt so magical then. He felt nothing seeing Arpana. Suddenly, Arjun's memories took him a few years behind....

"Happy Diwali Arjun" Anjali screamed!!! "Happy Diwali to you too love" Arjun replied to his dearest wife, snaking his hands through her saree. "You’re looking gorgeous today!" Arjun complimented his wife. "You too are looking handsome," she replied. "Can you stop the cheesy romance and help me decorate the whole house with the diyas?" Deepak screamed. Anjali smiled naughtily and went to join Deepak. That day they celebrated Diwali very happily. When it was time to conclude the day, Anjali broke the news to everyone that she was pregnant. It was the best Diwali gift the family could ask for. So many new dreams and hopes were formed that day only to be in vain.

Arpana gently shook Arjun breaking his trance "are you okay?" she asked Arjun noticing the tears that were forming in his eyes. "I'm fine Arpana" he replied and went to join Deepak with whatever he was doing. Arpana was finding it strange that Arjun was not speaking to his mother a lot. Even on their wedding day, they didn't seem like they were on good terms with each other but on that day Arpana though it was because of the forced marriage. Sometime later, Arpana noticed Revathy speaking to Ravinath. He was wiping away her tears and looked like he was comforting her. Arpana too wanted to go and see if Revathy was alright but she didn't want to invade their privacy. Just when Arpana decided to leave, Revathy's eyes caught Arpana and quickly faked a smile. Arpana returned the smile but little did she know how much guilt and pain was hiding inside that smile...

Soon the day came to an end. Arpana wanted to stay here for another day but Arjun was adamant to leave so they decided to leave. Arpana hugged everyone casually and when she hugged Deepak, Arjun pulled her back making Deepak feel like a fool. Deepak grinned at Arjun cheekily. Arjun hugged his father and brother and left with Arpana in Deepak's car as his car was at home. 

 ....................................

Sorry if you have found this chapter quite boring, this chapter was needed to push the story a bit more ....

What is your opinion of the story so far ? Do you like the way it is going?

Why might Arjun be acting cold to his mother ?

What do you think of Arjun and Arpana in this chapter ? Your feedback will be appreciated a lot ❤

Thank you kiki8775 for editing this chapter ❤❤❤

Your vote and comment will mean a lot